• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How many CBer's are there?

parkair

Jan 15, 2006
Near Austin, Texas
They say there is 600,000 or so Hams that have a ticket, I wonder how many CBer's are there? Once again 11meters is open (I geuss it's user's are making it open) and 10m is dead, I just called CQ, CQ, CQ.............

A recent show on TLC said there were 2.2 million registered semi trucks in the US. I say at least 90% of them have a cb, that not counting the base stations. So 2.5 million would be a good starting guess

Certainly there are millions of CB radios installed in cars and trucks but many people don't use them to talk with. So how many people are actually using their radios? Who knows? My son-in-oaw has CB permenently installed CB radio in his truck but never turns it own while I'm riding with him. He uses it to communicate with friends while towing a trailer to camps when they convoy. While camped, they use FRS handhelds.

parkair said:
They say there is 600,000 or so Hams that have a ticket, I wonder how many CBer's are there? Once again 11meters is open (I geuss it's user's are making it open) and 10m is dead, I just called CQ, CQ, CQ.............

Millions. You don't often hear them, for one reason or the other, but if there are DX conditions, try to find a quiet channel. Some op's just like their local talk, and very often it's SSB and late at night. Others only come out for SKIP.

But CB is facing the same problem that HAM radio is: Death. I'd bet if you had the figures and put it up on a spreadsheet chart you find that the decline is fairly equal as older Hams and CB operators die off.

bandaid kid said:
Certainly there are millions of CB radios installed in cars and trucks but many people don't use them to talk with. So how many people are actually using their radios? Who knows?

This is the way it is in my area--seeing alot of changes latly though-- 7 years ago, you would see alot of cb antenna (ALOT) on trucks for hunters, fishermen etc etc-- over the past few years, there have been quite a few good cb antennas seen on cars-- usually everytime I go for a drive I see one now-- lots of trucks with radios though-- but people spening money on good antennas and putting them on passanger cars is a real good sign-- years ago if you seen a car with a cb antenna more than likly you knew the guy or it was an oddity

But still, like you were saying-- lots of cars with antennas now-- LOTS of trucks with antennas (I could usually pass 3 with antennas if I drive for a mile or two)-- but these people are not on the radio
We have about 40 guys that come on the local call channel-- some more than others-- but the call channel is channel 3 AM and there is lots of base stations-- anyone of these people could hear us, these people KNOW we are there, but they never key up
If everyone in my area used the radios they had in their vehicle the whole 40 channel band would be busy
If you are putting a Wilson 1000 on a passanger car, you have to be fairly serious about CB-- or plan on using it a bit at least -- its not like a hunter that uses it for emergencies or hunting or whatever--
But yet these people are never on the air-- its amazing-- brand new cobra 29's or 148, brand new wilson 1000's and they are never on the air
Lots of guys sandbaging-- mic shy I guess
Its just unreal that there are so many radios and no one using them except for the odd "can I get a radio check?"-- "its working"-- "thanks" --and thats it for using the mic on the radio for a month

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.