• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOW TO CLEAN THE INSIDE OF A RADIO?

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
I've a Sonar fs23 and 3023. I've already removed the top bottom and side covers exposing the chassie that holds the tubes, transformer, crystals and the tube sockets. I've done a good job getting rid of all the dust. Now I want to know the best way to shine up the chassie. Im not sure what type of metal it's made of but anyone who has owned any old tube type radio knows what in talking about. It may be a type of tin aloyed or just thick gage tin. Anyway, what's the best way to shine this up? I've removed the tubes and the relay. I don't want to remove the crystals so I will clean around the crystal sockets. What's the best way to shine this up without dangering any of the component's? The under side that contains all the diodes caps and wireing is so cluttered I won't attempt any cleaning there. Its so much nicer looking then the top side it really doesn't need cleaning anyway. Any advice on how to do this without damaging anything would be apreceated. P.s there's no greasy grime tobacco residue or anything like that. It just lacks that nice shinny luster I did when it was new.

Probably needs to go to a tech even in controlled environment the ceramic on the diodes an caps get brittle . I'm no expert just a thought .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

If you wiped everything down and got rid of the dirt and dust I wouldn't worry about cleaning and shining the chassis. That's normally done with all the components out of it and there's really nothing to be gained by doing it.

Dish washer is the best. I use those packets and hot dry, The Jet Dry stuff must be up to make things right. Clean and it will sparkle. sit it on the shelf for a while before use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.