• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 746pro and noise question

depark

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 17, 2010
Kelowna, BC
I have a question about signal-to-noise ratio on my ICOM 746 Pro. Specifically it relates to the 40 m band. Right now my antenna that I am using is a 10-40m TAK-tenna multiband antenna. I have it tuned to 7.2 MHz with an SWR of 1.2:1. The problem that I'm having is that I am getting a signal reading of S9 to S9 + 20. I am using a MFJ-993B auto tuner and will tune the antenna to 1.0:1 to 1.2:1 throughout the entire 40 m band. I am wondering what I can do to help with the noise. Can I use the DSP filters in my 746 Pro to help and if so how? Is there anything that I can do with the antenna? As a point of reference the noise on 20 m is between S3 and S4. Also another question is that does anyone know why when I turn my auto tuner on the volume goes up? Any help would be kindly appreciated.

Darryl,
Sounds like typical 40 meters to me, 40 is always noisier than other bands. Would the DSP help with that noise? It should, but nothing is going to get rid of it completely. I don't know enough about your radio to tell you how to do anything with it, so can't be of any help there, sorry.
If you're using a 'TAK-tenna' then I assume you don't have gobs of real estate to put up antennas. So, it may be as good as it gets, sort of. Other types of antennas will certainly produce different results, but who says those results would be 'better' noise wise?
- 'Doc

Like 'Doc said, welcome to 40 meters at it's worst, LOL. I think part of the problem you're having is that your antenna is seriously compromised for 40 meters. You're probably picking up all of the local RFI, all of the international broacast interference, and none of the ham traffic.

You can certainly try using the DSP Noise Reduction to help out, but it can't make miracles happen. Turn the NR on and then dial the NR knob up and see what it does. Do this while listening to some type of intelligible signal so the DSP can discern the voice vs. noise. Another trick that you can do is to use the dual pass band filters (Icom calls it Dual PBT). Use the outer PBT knob to shift the passband off center a little bit to take out some of the bass in the signal. Then use the innter PBT know to narrow the signal a little. This will help you copy the other station. Once you fool around with it a bit, you'll begin to understand how it works.

One question for you: Are you trying 40 meters at night or during the day?

Get real 40m antenna. This will improve sigal to noise ratio a lot.
Other option is to move to coutryside, but I think it's not the option you can do.
Mike

Get real 40m antenna. This will improve sigal to noise ratio a lot.
Other option is to move to coutryside, but I think it's not the option you can do.
Mike

Oh how I'd like to move to the country and have a real antenna. :love: I live in a HOA and no antennas allowed except on my balacony or indoors. :sad:

Oh how I'd like to move to the country and have a real antenna. :love: I live in a HOA and no antennas allowed except on my balacony or indoors. :sad:

You would be surprised where you can put a stealthy wire in a restricted community. I have the same problem but lmy back yard is lined with trees and borders and corn field. I have two well hidden dipoles for 40/20 and 10m that are 30 feet in the air and a long wire for sw listening. Completely invisible.

I don't think you're going to be happy with the antenna you have. An indoor or attic dipole will most likely easily out perform the tak-tenna.

No backyard, no trees. :sad: In the spring I think I will put a dipole in my attic. I think that will be my best option. I just want to make my little antenna work. I guess that I will have to be happy with 20M PSK31 until I get a better antenna. At least the TAK-tenna works ok on that band.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.