• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom ic-761/765/751a

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
I would like to now how many forum members have owned or used an icom ic-761/765 or 751a and if so what's your take or review on these rigs. I recently bought a used ic-761 and have started a pro's and con's list but will post later with list as i have only had rig about a month,i dont want to review radio based on pure emotion.
The 761/765 are BIG radio's weighing in at 17.5 Kg [around 38 pounds] and have been used on many DX-peditions landing these rig as one of icom's top performores.One of the last models before DSP hit the market..... but still has a comprehensive list of features.http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/761lrg.jpg

Last edited:

IC761

Hi this is Valter,
yeah wonderful rig!
I just acquired one 761 few weeks ago and think it's one of the best I owned yet. mine is quite aged and needs recapping, and a few adjustments but I love it.

I noticed a very, very small noise CLICK in all the band but more noticeable at lower ends, every time the 10 Khz digit is incremented, for example is passing from 2.300.0 to 2.299.9 or vice versa but i don't know if it's my rig problem or it's just the 10Khz increments loop that need recappin/tuning.

Other than that is works great.

I like it also because compared to many recent rigs it's possible to do all the service easily. Can be customized improved a lot by enthusiasts of this type of things, like me.

73 from Italy

Valter

Icom 765

Hi Valter/Novakor,
In response to the request regarding Icom rig owners....
I have managed to secure a beautiful late model IC765 (serial number 004171) and have been putting it through its paces. This particular rig has been fitted with 2 x SSB and 2 X CW filters at the 9 Mhz and 455 Khz IF stages. I have to say that I am primarily a CW operator, however, I have been running the rig on 40 metres SSB during the evenings and the received quality of SSB transmissions is nothing short of "superb". I use a Heil Proset headset with the HC5 insert and have received excellent audio reports from a number of stations worked. With regard to the ergonomics of the front panel: I am left handed but find the control functions are very practical and the features have been sensibly thought out with no additional "white elephant" gimmicks. The IF shift and Notch filter adds a great dynamic in QRM and again has demonstrated that this rig was correctly labelled the ICOM Flagship for many years. Whilst operating CW, the narrow band filtering appears to make signals "jump out" and permits the selection of the wanted CW signal in the midst of pile ups. For the first time since I have been in this QTH, I am now hearing VK's & ZL's at a level never achieved before. I do not think propogation conditions have necessarily improved dramatically since I acquired this rig, it is simply down to the low noise threshold of the receiver and the excellent onboard filtering. Something else that I really do like about this rig is the onboard electronic keyer; it is the very best that I have ever used. I like heavy weighting on my sent characters and this is the first rig that has given me that biasing feature. The AGC action, AF/RF gain control and 3 levels of control of attenuation provides me with a terrific number of options to resolve very weak CW signals and I have been completely won over by this transceiver. The wideband AM on this transceiver is also very very acceptable. I monitor the BBC World Service as well as a number of other AM stations and the received audio is once again superb. Yes, there are a number of listed problems but the fixes are relatively simple to implement. I have not, to date, been on the receiving end of any of the problems these rigs supposedly show. From what I can see, there has been only one modification applied to this rig but I will be implementing the "pass band tuning" mod shortly. The large dial readout, positive feel of the VFO dial and the overall appearance of this rig means that I would be very very hard pushed to get rid of it. Memory functions are simple to use and, for me, it is a great, non complicated, non processor based rig with no bells n whistles to make one a "slave to the tool". Would I have gone through the whole process of acquiring an IC765 again. Oh yes, and I would thoroughly recommend this fantastic rig to anyone as it represents to me that good old fashioned "ham" rig which would realise everyone's perception of what amateur radio is all about. I hope this contriubution will be useful. regards Will/GM0HKS

Will, I tried to do a leghty follow up on my review but every time i tried to post i would have to relog back on and would lose my post:angry: After three tries i gave up. I mirrior your thoughts on 761/765 series radio. Thanks for sharing what i wanted but couldnt.

Hi Y'all. I removed the front panel of my 761 to clean the display, etc. I could not make the panel fit...Evidently, there were two different versions...one for earlier 761's; the other for later units. My 761 has serial #03579, which I assume is an earlier version....I assume that the front panel I have is for a later. Where can I find an earlier version panel?? Thanks Barry W1AGL barry records@gmail.com

I would like to now how many forum members have owned or used an icom ic-761/765 or 751a and if so what's your take or review on these rigs. I recently bought a used ic-761 and have started a pro's and con's list but will post later with list as i have only had rig about a month,i dont want to review radio based on pure emotion.
The 761/765 are BIG radio's weighing in at 17.5 Kg [around 38 pounds] and have been used on many DX-peditions landing these rig as one of icom's top performores.One of the last models before DSP hit the market..... but still has a comprehensive list of features.http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/761lrg.jpg
I own 2 IC-765's, one highly modified, competition grade (used for contesting) and one stock. 1 IC-761, have owned 4 IC-751A'a and now still have one. The 765, is probably the best old school high performance radio they made. The 761, is for the most part, a repackaged 751A, of which both are amazing radios for their time.

SL

Hi Y'all. I removed the front panel of my 761 to clean the display, etc. I could not make the panel fit...Evidently, there were two different versions...one for earlier 761's; the other for later units. My 761 has serial #03579, which I assume is an earlier version....I assume that the front panel I have is for a later. Where can I find an earlier version panel?? Thanks Barry W1AGL barry records@gmail.com
I just realized this thread is 15 years old! I am not sure the castings are different. I may have a panel, but not sure if it is new or old logo. You probably should have started a new thread. Also, if you removed the panel to clean it, why would it matter? If it came off, it will go back on.

My neighbor has a 751A & he refuses to get rid of it. He doesn't use it very often because he has an ICOM 7800, ICOM 7300,KX3,& several other radios but he swears that the 751A is one of the Best HF transceivers he has ever owned. I know that it sounds great with the ICOM SM-8 desk microphone on the air.

I just realized this thread is 15 years old! I am not sure the castings are different. I may have a panel, but not sure if it is new or old logo. You probably should have started a new thread. Also, if you removed the panel to clean it, why would it matter? If it came off, it will go back on.
barry2317---thanks for answering my email. I think the previous owner(s) acquired the radio with the incorrect front panel. I discovered that there were two versions of the front panel...one for earlier models...one for later....It looks like the front panel was forced onto the chassis. The knobs and switches do not stick out of the panel as far as they should. The panel has protrusions on it's back side that prevent it from being mounted flush with the chassis. They stick out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch I have a Dremel tool, and am considering grinding down those protrusions until the panel fits properly. Thanks for your help. Barry W1AGL

Reactions: NZ8N
I had a 751a transceiver and it was great! Excellent receiver and great audio. It even sounded decent on AM (not great, but decent), but it really shined on sideband xmit audio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.