• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ideas needed: How to extend radial end-tips (3/16" solid-rod) by 2-3" each.

Naysayer

Said Nay
Mar 6, 2020
New York
I can remove the existing and do the work inside without taking antenna down but how to clamp the extensions to the 3/16" solid radial tips? They are not aluminum and came with a Moonraker made in the 1970's. I can use a step-ladder to remove and install the 2 tips. My notes from 2021 note 16' 5" each side. SWR readings show I need more length. I could use solid copper wire or cut-up another radial tip (I have a few) but I need a way to attach it. I was going to leave it as ATU does OK but a wind storm bent one tip almost 180 degrees against a tree top. What sort of lightweight and strong clamp could I use? I'd need 2 for each tip, a few inches apart. This antenna is >33' long and catches a lot of wind being rather high up and near the coast (NYC).
Ideas anyone"

Attachments

• Dipole Tips.jpg
    Dipole Tips.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65

Ok I'll try. There's even a Welding shop a short walk from here. Thanks for the tip.
I'm guessing I can heat one end with a torch to make an eyelet on 1 end, or too much heat for mere propane but I'll figure something out. Thanks again

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I'll drill a hole near the head of a bolt & slide rod through & tighten to element. Slide it down toward mast 2" or so and secure w/ small clamp, nylon tie, whatever. That will do just fine! thanks again for the idea

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Ok I'll try. There's even a Welding shop a short walk from here. Thanks for the tip.
I'm guessing I can heat one end with a torch to make an eyelet on 1 end, or too much heat for mere propane but I'll figure something out. Thanks again

Shouldn't even need to heat it. I have bent and used such stainless rods many times without using heat.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I ended up using some heavy square copper wire from a large transformer primary. the wire is very stiff. I used 2" aluminum stand-offs with 1/8" id to couple 6" of primary wire to the Moonraker tips. I had extra tips to fabricate inside so I can swap them out in one trip to the roof.

I was able to solder the copper wire to the aluminum stand-offs with a propane torch no problems. I could not get the Stainless to meld so I used fine copper wires to shim for tight fit and filled the air gaps with crazy glue. (I brushed & cleaned all surfaces with nail polish remover first). After it dried, it was sealed with silicone for picture below. The largest birds here are Red Tailed Hawks. They get big but likely know enough to opt for the larger tubing instead of the tips. Only time will tell.

neil, NYC

Attachments

• IMG-0319.JPG
    IMG-0319.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 63

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.