• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

INLINE SWR METER(S) VS RADIO SWR METER(S)

Swamp Yankee

Feb 15, 2024
Hello All,
Maybe someone can clear this up for me? With my radio(s) ON and amp OFF my SWR reads about 1.0 - 1.1 across 40 channels per the built in SWR meter on the radio(s) and the inline SWR meter. Just FYI, I purchased 3 brand new (different types) of inline SWR meters just to be sure. With the radio(s) and amp ON, the inline SWR meter reads about 1.18 to 1.24, which i believe is normal due to the harmonics from the amp. BUT BUT BUT, the SWR meter on the radio(s) read 1.6 - 1.8? Should I care? Should I ignore the built-in meters because the inline meters show a good SWR? This morning I talked to Montego Bay Jamica (From Rhode Island) with no trouble at all. That being said, I'm thinking that I do not have an SWR issue?

Thanks

The input and passthrough tune will be different so that's probably why you are seeing different readings. Like undertaker said, anything under 2.0-1 is fine. If you are driving your amps within an inch of their life you'll want to have lower SWR, otherwise up to 2.0-1 doesn't affect your signal or hurt the life of your equipment.

Reactions: walterjn and S&W357
Thank You Gentlemen. I failed to mention that have tried (2) different Amps. Carl Built 400DH & Thunderbolt 305. I think the Thunderbolt 305 is a "Cleaner" Amp regarding Harmonics etc. Maybe I'm crazy?

Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.