• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Johnson Viking 1 question.

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I have found a nice Johnson Viking 1, also have a Hammarlund HQ-129-X shortwave receiver and i was wondering. Can the 129 be used as receiver with the Viking transmitter? Most of the people i know that use an old transmitter like this also use a CB radio as the receiver and i would rather not go that way myself ( looks trashy ) which is why i was wondering if this setup would work until i can find a nice receiver to go with the Hammarlund.

You guys know i not a ham but im also not your normal cb guy either. I want to have the cleanest sounding station possible which is why i got the Johnson in the first place. I will use it on 38 lower side band which is were i stay most of the time the radio is on, not to go around the ham bands pissing people off!

Thanks!

I'm assuming the Viking I has an adapter for SSB (like the SB-10 for the Heathkit DX-100B)? The Viking I by itself is only AM/CW.

Can it be used with the Hammarlund receiver? Sure, it can. You'll need something like a Dow-Key coaxial relay with aux contacts for muting the receiver when you go to transmit, but that was a pretty common station back in the 50s and into the mid-60s.

The Hammarlund MIGHT work for SSB. It won't have the stability of a modern receiver (the Viking I with an external VFO won't be all that stable, either). Did I mention that you might need a VFO unless you can get a crystal for the proper frequency?

I have found a nice Johnson Viking 1, also have a Hammarlund HQ-129-X shortwave receiver and i was wondering. Can the 129 be used as receiver with the Viking transmitter? Most of the people i know that use an old transmitter like this also use a CB radio as the receiver and i would rather not go that way myself ( looks trashy ) which is why i was wondering if this setup would work until i can find a nice receiver to go with the Hammarlund.

You guys know i not a ham but im also not your normal cb guy either. I want to have the cleanest sounding station possible which is why i got the Johnson in the first place. I will use it on 38 lower side band which is were i stay most of the time the radio is on, not to go around the ham bands pissing people off!

Thanks!

You can always tell when those old classics get on the air, the audio is just GREAT!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.