• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TK- 860

Put a $100 antenna on top of a $20 radio - and it works like a $100 radio.
But - put a $20 antenna on top of a $100 radio - and it works like a $20 radio.
That is just the way it is...

A kenwood tk 860h is a 450-470mhz radio. It has many uses, police, fire, ems, ham, gmrs. To use the radio as a ham or gmrs radio you will need a license from the fcc. It can be programed from the front with a simple mod.

I have a 460G that I used to use for GMRS - good radio for that purpose. It's been gathering dust for about 10 years, as I don't use GMRS anymore.

Funny seeing this thread... I just bought one off of ebay today.

I haven't heard of the front panel programming mod.

As others have mentioned, it's not much use to you if you're only into CB, but they work fairly well for amateur 440 use as well as GMRS if licensed, or if you want to be a rebel, they will program to the FRS frequencies as well. Of course it isn't legal to transmit on the FRS frequencies with that much power but I suppose it isn't much worse than running an amplifier on CB freq's. :unsure:

Very easy to mod if you can use a soldering iron. The 860 is the UHF version of the VHF 760. I have the 860 and did the mod so I can program it from the front no cable or software needed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.