• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

License Dates... I thought they were good for 10 years!?

w3CUM

BANNED
Feb 4, 2009
Simple question, well maybe... a little back ground...

I took and passed my Technician test and recieved my license, KJ4EZG... my Effective date was 06-26-2008 with an expiration date of 06-26-2018, a full10 years later...

I then applied for my great grandfathers old call W3CUM which was granted giving me an effective date of 09-16-2008 and an expiration date of 09-16-2018..... again...10 years later...

So this past weekend I took my General Test and Passed and this evening I checked the ULS and sure enough my license update is posted.....
BUT I noticed something....
My effective date is 03-05-2009 and my expiration date is still 09-16-2018....

I am wondering why I was given a few extra month of license time for changing my call... but by upgrading (and paying my 14.00 testing fee) why didn't I get the full 10 years?

Yeah Yeah I know its only a few month... but if I hadn't of looked I would have sworn my license would have been good for 10 years after recieving my CURRENT license... not my original...

Please share your thoughts...

Thanks and 73
Chris
W3CUM

I'm sorry but you need to change your call sign again, because you can only.....have that call for so long.

???? What?

If you are referring to my call grow up!

It was my Great Grand Fathers Call and I am proud of it. He used to be a radioman in WW1 and had a radio set up in his home after the war that rivaled most military bases of the day.

Grow up Park

Last edited:
They might change the expiration date when you change your call, but they never do when you upgrade the license on the same call. At least that's my experience.

W3CUM

the LICENSE is good for 10 years. 9/16/2008 to 9/16/2018

why are you worried about the effective date. grant date to expiration date is 10 years

spacer.gif
Call Sign W3CUM
(Vanity) Radio ServiceHV - VanityStatusActive Auth TypeRegular DatesGrant09/16/2008 Expiration09/16/2018 Effective03/05/2009 Cancellation

They did the same thing with my license recently.
I upgraded to General in January and my expiration date remained the same.
Then I applied for a vanity call, and they made it good for another 10 years. It's just the way they do things....

as for Park's comment.....

You gotta admit, a call sign with the suffix "CUM".....that's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny....

If you're going to wear it, wear it with a good sense of humor buddy, it's not a matter of "growing up", humor is humor, and if something is funny, it's funny, and no disrespect to your Great Grand Father, but that call sign will continue to drawl remarks of a humorus nature, so you better get used to it....

thanks for the replies everyone!

as far as Parks comments... they were funny once... not the 1000th time. I have no problem with the jokes... just have an answer to go with it. The private messages are not needed

Simple question, well maybe... a little back ground...

I took and passed my Technician test and recieved my license, KJ4EZG... my Effective date was 06-26-2008 with an expiration date of 06-26-2018, a full10 years later...

I then applied for my great grandfathers old call W3CUM which was granted giving me an effective date of 09-16-2008 and an expiration date of 09-16-2018..... again...10 years later...

So this past weekend I took my General Test and Passed and this evening I checked the ULS and sure enough my license update is posted.....

I am wondering why I was given a few extra month of license time for changing my call... but by upgrading (and paying my 14.00 testing fee) why didn't I get the full 10 years?

Yeah Yeah I know its only a few month... but if I hadn't of looked I would have sworn my license would have been good for 10 years after recieving my CURRENT license... not my original...

Please share your thoughts...

Thanks and 73
Chris
W3CUM

get some rest and don't worry about it.. :love:

heres the canadian version: VE2 JIZ
Callsign: VE2JIZ Name: Jean Gabriel Roumy Address: 163 BERKLEY
SAINT LAMBERT, QC J4P 3C9 Qualifications: BASIC, MORSE CODE, ADVANCED

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.