• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Long-distance communication via old walkie-talkie

Czizbu

Apr 25, 2013
Katowice, Poland
Hello.

First of all, excuse me for my poor English. ;) I am writing to tell you about one strange occurrence which involves an old walkie-talkie.

In autumn 2012, I've found an old and battered walkie talkie. It had a battery in it (its expiration date was mid 2010) and it appeared to work, so I decided to test it. I asked my father to turn on the CB radio he had in his car and went for a walk, up a hill which is a few hundred meters away from our house. The radio was on all the time, and all I heard was static noise. But halfway up the hill I heard a voice. What surprised me was that it wasn't Polish, (My parent's house is in a small town in south of Poland), but in English. I thought that I have picked up a transmission from UK, which would've been impressive, but the person broadcasting didn't have a UK accent. It was very American. The thought itself, that such a crappy radio possibly picked up a broadcast from across the ocean stunned me. I grabbed my phone and recorded the sounds coming from the speaker. You can download them HERE. At the end of the 1st one you can hear me and my dad trying to communicate, but no luck - the radio is receiving around channel 7 and it's broadcasting somewhere between 6 and 7. (Which proves that it's garbage, which makes the fact that I heard an overseas transmission even more impressive). One of the few words I could understand is "Pennsylvania". I assume that's where the person was broadcasting from.

I am posting this thread, hoping to get in touch with whoever broadcasted this message. I know that chances are the same as finding a needle in a haystack, but it's ok to try, right? I just think that it might be interesting to let that person know that he was heard much farther than he would've thought, by pure luck, through an old and battered toy. And this board seems like an okay place to start, so...

BTW, that's the radio which picked up a transcontinental broadcast. Wow.

20130424223859.jpg

Thanks for the link. I will definitely look into this. I wasn't ever really into radio communications (neither am I knowledgeable on the subject as you can see ;)) but it seems like a pretty cool hobby, I guess.

That's pretty impressive a receiver in that ancient radio. I can almost guarantee that the station you were hearing was NOT a hand-held radio if it indeed was in Pennsylvania.

In the late 1950s - middle 1960s, I would have believed intercontinental communications with radios like this one. Not today, I'm afraid. Still, you seem to have a very good receiver!

And your English is excellent. My Polish is limited to things like Polska, Warszawa, Chopin, Madame Curie, Polonium, Polish Sausage -- things like that :D.

Edit: Almost forgot "pierogies"!! And I didn't mean I didn't believe your story - a strong station in Pennsylvania would certainly be heard in Poland, even with that radio, under favorable conditions. Favorable conditions, however, are nowhere near as common as they were in 1958...

Last edited:
I have Worked one of the Forum members here ( Bill, 558 Radio Free Chicago) from CA / Chicago, I was on a Base ( Yaesu FT-101) and he was on a 40 channel AM/SSB handheld, altho I do not remember the model.

All About Conditions.......
I have seen this same guy work lots of DX on a FT 817 with a small portable antenna.
QRP is an incredible thing.

Jeff

Thanks for the kind words on my English. I guess playing all those video games as a kid is paying off. ;)

I have to admit that the whole thing really got under my skin. I bought a second-hand, hand-held CB, Dragon SY-101 for the equivalent of 10$. This weekend I'll be visiting my parents so I'll take another walk and see what I can hear. (One in a million chance for that to happen again, but still...)

I guess I've got a new hobby.

BTW, does any of you guys have an opinion on this radio? Is it any good or is it trash? It's actually an Intek SY-101, but for unknown reasons, they're selling them under the brand of "Dragon" here. (Lame name if you ask me).

Thanks for the kind words on my English. I guess playing all those video games as a kid is paying off. ;)

I have to admit that the whole thing really got under my skin. I bought a second-hand, hand-held CB, Dragon SY-101 for the equivalent of 10$. This weekend I'll be visiting my parents so I'll take another walk and see what I can hear. (One in a million chance for that to happen again, but still...)

I guess I've got a new hobby.

BTW, does any of you guys have an opinion on this radio? Is it any good or is it trash? It's actually an Intek SY-101, but for unknown reasons, they're selling them under the brand of "Dragon" here. (Lame name if you ask me).

Well done wish I could find one for $10 .If I'm looking at the same model it has fm ,am and ssb. Try listening on ssb as well.ch 38 27.385 lsb or ch 55usb 27.555 might be better in Poland.Not as uncommon as you think. Enjoy your new hobby.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.