• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for a cb whip

megatron

Aug 18, 2008
Cincinnati
ok a friend gave me a free antenna the whip.. the thin
wire that leads to the base, i'm looking for one longer than
the one he gave me, i have a magnet mound i have a cobra
DX 19IV i got at biglots for $32 reason i need a bigger whip
so i don't get static my old one is 38'' the new one is 15''
it came off my friends jeep which is magnet mount too

i'm not sure if lengthening the whip will eliminate static noise? that is usually a grounding issue. if you have a magmount, you may have to run an extra ground wire.

If I'm understanding you correctly, using a different length 'whip' for an antenna without also changing what that 'whip' connects to (the base of the antenna) just isn't going to work. That base of the antenna usually contains a matching device and/or load, which uses whatever the original length 'whip' as part of a tuned circuit. Changing the 'whip's length from 38" to something like 15" will mess up the tuning, not gonna work well or at all. Go back to the original length and see what happens. (I misunderstand a lot sometimes, so if this isn't what you meant, I didn't really say any of it, forget it.)

Using a 'shorter' antenna will cut down on what noise you might hear. The bad part is that it will also cut down on the stuff you want to hear also. That's typically NOT the way to go about getting rid of noise, although it can work. Getting rid of noise is a huge subject all by it's self. The basic idea is to get rid of the noise sources, or make the noise go somewhere else besides your radio. That's accomplished by shielding, by-passing, and such. The two ways noise gets into a radio is by the AC/DC power line, or by the antenna cuz the noise is being radiated on a radio frequency. It isn't the antenna's fault, or the power line's. You can do things with the power lines that you can't do with the antenna, which is just a matter of how things work.
Enough of all that...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted