• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looking for some insight

brash

Apr 22, 2012
i'm new to the cb scene, so doing research i've found that all the radios are great and crap.
talked to several shops and techs, one says the hr2510 is the best radio out there another says its crap same with the grants, 29's, thought about the galaxy brand but found out then they are garbage. just what is a good radio i know its a ford/chevy/dodge kinda thing. is it also that most people are just not wanting to change to the new style radios either?

Most of the radios you mentioned were good back in the day. Now, they are aged and need TLC. Some guys can't let go of the past.

You could blow a wad of cash and Buy a Stryker 955HP and go beep beep beep down the street with it's 6 roger beeps.

My tech says the same about the 2510's... in that they were one of the best SSB radios made. Ever. He does know that they are old, and do need parts replaced from time to time. I am in agreement with m42duster, in that a lot of folks hold on to the past. The Grant XL/Cobra 148 is also a great oldie, but can need some repairs to keep them going. Most of the new stuff is hard for guys to work on, as well, since most companies are into the SMT stuff now. So yeah, they like the old stuff they can still work on and fix. :)

If you are looking for a new rig, tell these fine folks what your needs are for communication, and they can get you looking in the right direction. And that will come without bias toward selling you a rig from their shop. (y) Most have been there/done that, spent the money, used one of the rigs you are interested in, and can really give you an honest opinion. The Dodge/Ford/Chevy thing still comes into play though! :tongue:

RT307

answer if you need with a yes, no, doesn't matter. we can help you with what would work

• *high power (30w or more)?
    *low power (under 30w or something to drive an amp)?
    *echo?
    *roger beep?
    *ability to transmit outside of the normal 40 channel cb band?
    *any space concerns for mounting?
    *do you need or want ssb?
    *how much is your budget?
    *what type of antenna do you have?

honestly dont need anything more than a walmart special (actually one guy at work has one and it works just fine for what we do). but what i need is different from what i want. right now i'm using a uniden 68 with a k40 mag mount and its just fine. now comes what i want would like 10,11,12 and ssb, frequency display, scan, blue lights would like all digital, really like the looks of the magnum 257/yeticom, came across a 2510 for 40 bucks, talked to doc and think i might go ahead and get it.

it just amazes me how every radio is the best and crap. read that the ranger 2950 is good then it wont hold up long in a ride. same with the stryker. all the new radios are just throw-aways but the old ones dont have the new features ect.......

Throwing in my 2¢

I've been spoiled by my 2510, had it for close to 20+ years now and has not failed me once. Do wish it had a few more watts, but 25w has done me fine for quite some time. I run it with a Wilson 1000 and either a D104M6B or the king of mics, a 575M6, and always get good audio reports back. I had an orange face RCI 2950 (non DX) and used it for a year or so until I got my 1st 2510 and had it tuned/aligned by a long since silent key and haven't had to crack it open in 20+ years, cept to fix a fault with the RF/sig meter reading full all the time. I now have a 2nd 2510 and use it on my base with a +2ssb Turner. I've been tempted by 148gtl's and grants, but always come back to the 2510s.

The Yeti Comm Optima has caught my eye recently, so, over the summer I think I'll pick up a few odd jobs and treat myself to a Yeti soon. There's a few draw backs to the 2510 though, the display is hard to read at certain angles, the 2950 was much easier to read with it's nice big digits, and parts for the 2510 are scarce, I'd love to find a new faceplate and top/bottom covers for one of my 2510 to dress it up. Just my thoughts, and if you do get that 2510 for $40, you won't regret it. Wish I could find a $40 2510......

73s

Greg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.