• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco y quad or jo gun smoken gun 2

automan4025

May 24, 2007
Mich
someone help me make up my mind on which antenna I'm going to buy. I like talking skip and local and plan on mounting it on the roof to replace my Imax 200. My wife said she will buy me a beam antenna for fathers day.So I'm going for it

smoken gun 2 or maco y quad. These are the 2 that are in the price range

A friend of mine in western NY has a Y quad on a 40 ft. tower and he really likes it's performance. He talks DX pretty much at will with just a TS DX250 on a power supply. That's about all the input I have for the two antennas you mentioned. 8)

take a look at signal enginnerings super hawk. a true 2 element quad. the Y quad is ok i have used them in the past. i use a 4 element quad by sig. eng. now. but i do some folks that use the super hawk and it is a great antenna small and compact like the Y quad but will give you the perfomance of a 4 element yagi. the Yquad is not a true quad but a quad yagi hybird a yagi with a quad reflector. the super hawk is a true quad. but between the smoken gunn & the Y Quad pick the Y Quad.

IMD262 said:
If you need the extra audio gain the JoGunn is the answer.
An antenna gives you "audio gain"?! You must have been trying to be funny because there is no way you are serious!

The Jo-Gunn is heavy, expensive, and not worth the extra money unless you live in a real windy environment or run a TON of power.

The Maco is, and has always been, the better choice for the majority of operators.

Master Chief said:
IMD262 said:
If you need the extra audio gain the JoGunn is the answer.
An antenna gives you "audio gain"?! You must have been trying to be funny because there is no way you are serious!

The Jo-Gunn is heavy, expensive, and not worth the extra money unless you live in a real windy environment or run a TON of power.

The Maco is, and has always been, the better choice for the majority of operators.

Yes, I was trying to make a funny,but I think JoGunn is serious when they list audio gain in their specs.

www.jogunn.com/jgstar.htm

Master Chief said:
Agree!!

I have notice over the years that when people talk about how good their beam will work, they will some times mention how much power they are using. I think they need to forget the power for a year or so and just run low wattage and then they can really determine how well their beam will function.

For the power that I use, which is 30 watts, the Maco 5 element yagi is a damn good antenna and I could go on & on about it.

Maco - 103,104,105,106,107 are easy to assemble, take high winds good and are lots cheaper to own then some of the others that are on market.

My Hygain Longjohn 5, was up for 24 yrs until I just replaced it with the Maco 5 in 2000. Both excellent antennas - for the Money!
*I have another Maco 105c that should be here this week*

karo said:
Nevertheless Maco is going out of business and he will have no customer service no matter how good the antenna is.
Nope. The manuals are available, the parts are easy to get or duplicate, and its an easy antenna to work on. The Maco is STILL the best choice for 95% of all CB users.

karo said:
If I were to put a beam antenna today it would be a JoGunn for the simple fact everyone has strong winds eventually and eventually have thoughts of large amplification devices.
No again. Not everyone will have to deal with winds high enough to destroy a Maco and most only dream of running real power. The Jo-Gunn antennas are HEAVY and over priced (in my opinion) for what you get. A person could do better. But I have NO problem if you or anyone else wants to buy one.

When asked for MY opinion, I gave it......just like you did.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.