• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Magnum OmegaForce S-45 HP Review

i got 2 magnums i love them.it rx as well as a 2950 older oner it replaced
anyday.as far as noise it had no more than the 2950.on am it ouyttalked
the 2950
am=2-8 watt dk
18-25 pep
ssb=25pep
magnum
am=2-10 dk
30-40 pep
ssb=35-45 pep
its has everything the 2950 has plus a anolog meter and excellent on am and ssb
i agree with rob great review thanks rob

Hummm, well after reading all this, I just thought I would drop a "bomb" here, and probably stir things up a little. But, it's not to be doing it on purpose, just an very honest opinion.

I've had a chance to run this radio (it was loaned to me from cbradiomagazine) and I was not overly impressed with it. I used the radio for about 6 days and took it off line and set the 2970dx back up (got tired of it).

Ergonomics - 2 stars (of 5)
TX portion - 3 stars
RX portion - 5 stars

After about 6-7 min. of talking, the power dropped from 75 watts down to 60. I even had a fan on the heat sink, which the heat sink was cool - so why the drop?
After cool down period of about 4 min., power was back up.

Open clarifier! Ugh, I hate that!!

Audio was ok, but not as good as my 2950/70dx models on SSB, (this was from other operators that listened to me when I switched between radio's)

The knobs are not marked very good, it was hard to see where their position was, while sitting just 2' from radio.
(I would think maybe a nickels worth of white paint would be a great idea).

When radio is converted, it looses it's "split freq." capability.

I didn't like the small display, had to have my reading glasses on to see it very well, unlike the 50's/70's with their big display. This radio would never work good for me in a mobile.

I could go on, but this enough.

Just curious, DXMan, why don't you like an open clarifier? Since the tuning resolution and display on these radios is only down to the 1 KHz step, I would think that a clarifier that changes both TX and RX simultaneously would be mandatory on a band (11 meters) where everybody seems to be 100 or 200 Hz away from being on freq.

The Cobra 148GTL review I did recently, I felt as though I should have unlocked the clarifier so that it could be more useful.

How can you like a radio that has a locked clarifier - especially when DXing?!?
Seems like "Mission:Impossible" to me.

Hi Highlander,
Open clarifier is something I have no use for. When the radio is aligned and locked, then that's just fine for me. I don't need to be moving my TX just because some else is off of the freq that I am on.
If some one wishes to talk to me, then all they have to do is put their TX on with me - simple. If my .5 or .7 clarifier can't tune them - oh well...
I have been running the 2950dx/70dx for 9 yrs now, have never need an "open clarifier"

Hi Highlander,
Open clarifier is something I have no use for. When the radio is aligned and locked, then that's just fine for me. I don't need to be moving my TX just because some else is off of the freq that I am on.
If some one wishes to talk to me, then all they have to do is put their TX on with me - simple. If my .5 or .7 clarifier can't tune them - oh well...
I have been running the 2950dx/70dx for 9 yrs now, have never need an "open clarifier"

Yes, but the 29xx series of radios has tuning resolution down to the 100 Hz steps, and displays it, so, if one were so inclined, it is easy to tune to the person(s) who may be 100 Hz or so off. Not so with the Magnum Omega.

I understand your principled stand on wanting everybody to come to you, but what if you are tuning around and hear a couple of stations in that exotic South Pacific Island that you have been DYING to work, and they are on 27.570.200? I would tune to them before making my call. You can't do that with the Omega without the clarifier being "open", no?

The Cobra 148GTL review I did recently, I felt as though I should have unlocked the clarifier so that it could be more useful.

more useful for what ? the new front mic 148s drift badly on ssb and sound horrible . they are useless for ssb IMO .

in a perfect world with everybodies radios being on frequency a locked clarifier would be ideal ..... and clarifiers wouldnt be necessary . CB radio is far from a perfect world though . not everybody has rock solid equipment and its easier to compensate for all of them than to expect all of them to set their rigs up to play nice with mine .

being off frequency is definately a sign of a duck though . hehehe

One thing DXman didn't mention......

Of all the radios I've ever heard him on, from 35 miles away the Omegaforce had the most powerful audio on the RX end ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.