• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MATCHING A POWER MIC TO RIG

Stellasarat

Sep 17, 2013
Are there amplified mics that sound good with certain rigs? As we all have different voice caricturistics, is it just a matter of what Mic matches you rig + your voice? Is there a list of mics that just match certain radios perfectly. What's your favorite power mic + rig match up? Are there rigs that sound better with an unamplified Mic and actually benefit using an unamplified Mic? So many questions so little time.

Astatic D-104 with the TUP-9 stand (same as the Silver Eagle model) with that Madison you have.

Astatic-d-104-microphone-t-UP9-black-base-stand-img.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
On my Cobra 2000 GTL, I use a non amplified D-104........power mics are too much for these heavy audio radios.
In the mobile, nothing but stock mics because my 148s sure as heck don't need any more audio.
IMO power mics cause more problems then they are worth.

Reactions: 3 people
psycho, im curious how you brought the impedance down on that unamplified D104 to match with the low impedance input of the 2000GTL?

unamplified D104's are hi-z as far as i know.

to the OP, IMO no radio needs a power mic, unless you are using some crappy old 23 channel radio built before AMC circuits were implemented.

that being said, i use a D104 silver eagle because i like the sound of its element.
yes, its amplified, but i leave it almost all the way down.

noise cancelling mics are good if you drive with the windows down, but are not needed in a base station.

cobra stock coffin mics are great, and you get the audio from inside the radio, not from the mic.

all opinions here folks!
LC

Reactions: 2 people
Are there amplified mics that sound good with certain rigs? As we all have different voice caricturistics, is it just a matter of what Mic matches you rig + your voice? Is there a list of mics that just match certain radios perfectly. What's your favorite power mic + rig match up? Are there rigs that sound better with an unamplified Mic and actually benefit using an unamplified Mic? So many questions so little time.
It depends on what you re looking to get out of it. Do you run sideband? If so then the type of mic makes a difference, case in point the D-104 that was mentioned. The 104 is an excellent mic but not on ssb. My suggestion is get a mic that you can adjust the tonal responds like an Astatic 1104c. This will allow you to adjust how the mic sounds not just the loudness.

psycho, im curious how you brought the impedance down on that unamplified D104 to match with the low impedance input of the 2000GTL?

unamplified D104's are hi-z as far as i know.

LC

I bought two NOS at a Ham fest then wired them 5 pin.....that's it. Just lucky I guess. The unamplified Astatic Buckeye mobile I also bought was a huge disappointment.....the stock cobra coffin mic was WAY louder.

well im at a loss then psycho.

ive always heard that the unamplified D104's were high impedance mics that were intended to be used with tube gear that had a high impedance mic input.

all the articles say that trying to put one of these on a modern day solid state rig (all have about a 600 ohm lo-z input) will make the mic sound tinny and lose all the bass freqs.

this is why astatic put the amplifier circuits in the mics; not to make them power mics, but to provide an impedance match to the modern rigs.

im sure you know what you sound like and are just fine with it, but ive never known you to be one to care about what others think anyway.
LC

Reactions: 1 person
well im at a loss then psycho.

ive always heard that the unamplified D104's were high impedance mics that were intended to be used with tube gear that had a high impedance mic input.

all the articles say that trying to put one of these on a modern day solid state rig (all have about a 600 ohm lo-z input) will make the mic sound tinny and lose all the bass freqs.

this is why astatic put the amplifier circuits in the mics; not to make them power mics, but to provide an impedance match to the modern rigs.

im sure you know what you sound like and are just fine with it, but ive never known you to be one to care about what others think anyway.
LC

I tested both mics shortly after I bought them and I was impressed. The idea of putting an amplified D-104 on the base only having to cut back the mic gain never made much sense to me. There are a couple others around here who have the same mics on their bases, and they sound top shelf.
I like a certain type of sound and these mics work for me.
The high pitch amplified D-104 sound is good but my mics have a better combination of high and low pitch audio......more natural.

If/when the impedance has a decent match between the radio input and the mic, that is when the best audio response is recognized. LC is right about the impedance. So either there is a impedance matching xformer in the mic or there is a different element in the mic itself. Astatic xtal elements are high impedance; so there must be something in there that is getting your impedance match right. Just saying - is all . . .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.