• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mini Beem, need your in put on this,please.

Harvester

Jan 9, 2006
Seattle,Wa.
Now, I'm looking at a maco mc3 beem. But it is way to big for me.
I need somthing that i can work with in a high wind prone area and some thing that with blend in with the comunnity that i live in.
I have tree's yet i live in a city with an ordinance of only 30 feet high. and it can't be an somthing that stands out like a sore thumb.
I 'm thinking mini beem something that has been cut down and resized to work out as a 1/4 wave antena.
I only want to talk about 15 miles away and don't have a big radio for skip talking .
Anyone have any thoughts on this would be helpfull.

Thanks glen.

i would agree with the Interceptor I-10K

i regularly talk without the slightest hint of skip 70-90 miles
when i want i talk 4 to 500 miles to others with same antenna on their end ( I-10K to I-10K )
and can talk from nyc to la (east coast to west coast) daily
and i do this in a very heavy urban area (nyc)

if you want a small beam though then try this www.hexbeam.com

or

www3.sympatico.ca/tgmc

Later

since this is the home brew section how about a 1/2 or 1/4 wave di-pole in the tree. can be made from a piece of coax.

strip back 8 feet of the shielding seperate the shield from the center conductor. point center conductor stiaght up and the shield striaght down. then put a pig tail piece of wire on the shield side then ajust it to your center channel of choice.

after that seal up the coax were you split it with some good silicone sealant, and your good to go.

Thanks to all.

I would like to thank everyone for their input to this post,Hello Beetle long time no talk.
P.S. I like the hexbeem !!!!
Am i correct in thinking that the pictures are of opperators shooting skip?
Or is this antenna doing a 360 like base antenna,,,never seen it before so asking many questions!

Harvester

it is fully explained on the link i gave you to their site..
they do work well
also not need much room

Later

A quick an easy way might be to go and pick up a couple of those mirror mounts for truckers that let use use 2 fiberglass whips like a dipole-- maybey a couple of Francais mobile whips and you might be able to make a small beam antenna of some sort using mobile whip antennas
Its just an idea-- :roll: :?:

If your only wanting to talk 15 miles or so on AM you may want to go with a small beam, due to noise levels. On Sideband a simple dipole or ground plane would be plenty. If you want a simple BUT "compact" beam and fairly inexpensive, a 2-Element Quad will give you a lot of bang for your buck. Do a "Google-Search" for 2 Element Quad Antenna and it will give you plenty of information. 73 Jim

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.