• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Radio Mount - anti-vibration?

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Just wondering if anyone has heard of or made a radio mount for mobile use that works well for vibration / shock. Maybe something or made with a material that works well ? I have used the split foam that is commonly used for wrapping pipes with some success (fit to the radio sides). I like to use older radios at times that are at the age i would rather not have being bumped and bounced around with our crappy roads. I have been using a 980ssb for now as i feel being newer, can likely take more of a beating mobile then say a an old now 2510 / 2950. Thx

I'd bet that they would do just fine. Mobile rigs have always been pretty rugged.
Back in the mid seventies we had a guy come in the shop with an old Cobra 21 that had never been mounted in his truck just to show it to us. It just sat on the floor. All the finish was worn off the bottom of the radio and a couple of the corners were worn a little rounded too. It was the worst case of wear I had ever seen but it still worked okay.
Had another guy show me a Cobra 29 that took a 38 round through the faceplate.
That one did not survive!!

Last edited:
my old school 2510s / 2950 were built for a beating mobile when new. Now i try and still use them mobile but respect their age lol. I'm not as limber as i used to be either :) i was just thinking that in this day and age, we would be able to buy a good "anti shock / vibration" mobile radio mount. I think there is a market out there to help protect the investment.

Last edited:
my old school 2510s / 2950 were built for a beating mobile when new. Now i try and still use them mobile but respect their age lol. I'm not as limber as i used to be either :) i was just thinking that in this day and age, we would be able to buy a good "anti shock / vibration" mobile radio mount. I think there is a market out there to help protect the investment.
If we really want it we'll have to build our own out of RC car suspension parts.

my old school 2510s / 2950 were built for a beating mobile when new. Now i try and still use them mobile but respect their age lol. I'm not as limber as i used to be either :) i was just thinking that in this day and age, wel would be able to buy a good "anti shock / vibration" mobile radio mount. I think there is a market out there to help protect the investment.

If we really want it we'll have to build our own out of RC car suspension parts.

Yep. Hard to fathom a mobile bracket with shocks. 2 plates with the right type of medium in the middle. Just kinda surprised there isnt anything already available. When it comes to anything mobile, no one is doing anti vibration / shock. Maybe one day on ali :)

Last edited:
Someday "overseas" will have an "air ride" mobile bracket for our radios. I do admit, i put my 980 ssb directly to my truck dash and it takes a.beating. The foam side pads i use for now seem to help.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.