• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile rig

parttimehammer

Jun 26, 2011
I am looking for a mobile unit I could use as a base station, I already have the antenna for a base station, but really want more power than the 5W on my handi talkie. Been looking online, looks like the cheapest ones out there are still about $250. Was hoping for something a little less, say under $150 if I could do it. I only paid $110 for my handitalkie, with programming cable.

If you are looking for only a 2 meter radio then a Kenwood TM-281 is something like $138.00 depending on who you get it from. A dual band radio is going to be more, no idea how much, depends on brand.
- 'Doc

Check out the used equipment lists on Universal Radio, AES and Ham Radio Outlet. Sometimes, you can pick up a good deal, plus they usually give you a warranty/return window.

I've bought many a used or demo item from Universal. I can't recall having any issue. Safer than buying off eBay, EHAM and F'wed's site.

Universal has a Kenwood TM-271A for $109.95 + $9.95 shipping. Tax free if'n your outta Ohio.

60 day warranty as well.

I'd go the extra few bucks and get the TM-281 though. Kenwood has a $25 promotional coupon on it until June, 30th.

Universal has a Kenwood TM-271A for $109.95 + $9.95 shipping. Tax free if'n your outta Ohio.

60 day warranty as well.

I'd go the extra few bucks and get the TM-281 though. Kenwood has a $25 promotional coupon on it until June, 30th.

Ya, I would like to have 440 also, but I'm guessing that will bump the cost up higher. Although, come to think of it, I only use 440 when 2M won't work..hmmm

I use the HT with the Diamond X50 antenna on the base sometimes. Doesn't have a problem hitting any of the many repeaters here in the Bay Area of CA with 5w. But for simplex, it doesn't cut it too well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.