• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

murs mobile

My wife and I use ch. 1 (151.820). We are located in the Austin / San Antonio area and to my amazement hardly hear a thing! I also drove to NE, MO, KY and back to TX earlier this year and heard very little. Didn’t hear much on 146.52 ether.

Most MURS use seems to so far be with the short range handhelds. But what the hey...WE like our big radios and extra power....so if you can swing the gear, why not use a full power mobile both mobile and as a base. All the ham 2 meters mobiles mod out to cover MURS. So there ya go, a 50 watt radio. I have a mobile for 2 meters/MURS/Business Bands in the truck and even more capability at the house with a rig that does 100 watts on VHF.

For a most used itinerant frequency, 151.625 is still the most used. Again the ham 2 meter rigs will shine here.

The only problem remaining for ham/dual use, is having an antenna system that will cover both ranges with a good SWR. A tuned-for-2 meter antenna will be seriously out of tune for even the 151mhz channels. Either need some sort of screwdriver arrangement, a really good VHF antenna tuner, or best would probably be two separate antennas.

Good luck and have fun with radios!!
49lpmxx.gif
That is an order! Carry on.

interview.gif

Most MURS use seems to so far be with the short range handhelds. But what the hey...WE like our big radios and extra power....so if you can swing the gear, why not use a full power mobile both mobile and as a base. All the ham 2 meters mobiles mod out to cover MURS. So there ya go, a 50 watt radio. I have a mobile for 2 meters/MURS/Business Bands in the truck and even more capability at the house with a rig that does 100 watts on VHF.

For a most used itinerant frequency, 151.625 is still the most used. Again the ham 2 meter rigs will shine here.

The only problem remaining for ham/dual use, is having an antenna system that will cover both ranges with a good SWR. A tuned-for-2 meter antenna will be seriously out of tune for even the 151mhz channels. Either need some sort of screwdriver arrangement, a really good VHF antenna tuner, or best would probably be two separate antennas.

49lpmxx.gif

interview.gif

Try the MFJ-1728B, it can be used for 2 meters and MURS at the same time with good SWR.

What is the 151.625 freq?

MURS

I tried simplex from here to Florida, it really worked<1 contact>, so installed a cb again in the car..lots of contacts, it wasn't a dead band again from here to Florida..

DOCTOR/795

Try the MFJ-1728B, it can be used for 2 meters and MURS at the same time with good SWR.

What is the 151.625 freq?

Hi Park,

151.625 is Channel #1 itinerant business band VHF channel

Been around forever. Heavily used by construction, land surveyors, hotels ect...

49lpmxx.gif

interview.gif

Yup, there ya go, uses excessive power.. screw it up just like the 27 Mhz CB band... You use ham gear for MURS?? Not type accepted is it?? Just about as legal as using Ham gear on the business bands...

Putt...

49lpmxx.gif

interview.gif

Not really...

There are several antennas that will cover from 146 to 152 Mhz out there with less than a 2 to 1 VSWR.. Wilson makes a mag mount mobile that will do it....

Putt...

mobile whip

I took a 2 meter 45 inch whip and cut it to 17 inches for 151.94, works great, also found out firestick makes MURS antennas around 9 dollars to 12 each, and you can order directly from the factory since it is a special order.

DOCTOR/795

my 2 cents on murs...

As I understand it there is a 2 WATT LIMIT on a MURS transmission but there is no longer a limit on ERP or antenna gain. Blasting hi wattage on these freqs will only cause trouble for induviduals and lax conduct will only hurt MURS potential and future.
In addition, only radios licensed for MURS freqs OR commercial radios can legally be used for MURS. That, if correct would eliminate all HAM rigs.
I personally, have found it easier (and thus legal) to just buy a commercial radio (Kenwood 7180) and have it programmed as I want. Wattage on these can be tweaked as well.

That said now a question...
Are you guys running murs freqs open or pl toned?

God Bless

Whenever I run MURS, it's usually just to talk to the kids or wife out in the woods or desert. Sometimes I run it with a hunting buddy who has a couple of MURS radios. I just use it open, no PL.

You're right...you can run gain antennas.

Schweet. I just realized one other caveat of the murs service, on some radios that aren't grandfathered in, narrow band TX is required, 11.kHz I think but don't quote me on that. ;)

Funny thing here in Colombia. I set up a MURS/GMRS station at our farm , and in my mobile to communicate back and forth when I was in the City. Now, there are several MURS bases and mobiles from other farms in the area, and whenever I drive to town, The traffic on channel 1 is incredible. Almost like CB in the USA, but so far without all the idiots!!! LOL.

As I understand it there is a 2 WATT LIMIT on a MURS transmission but there is no longer a limit on ERP or antenna gain. Blasting hi wattage on these freqs will only cause trouble for induviduals and lax conduct will only hurt MURS potential and future.

I doubt 50W or less on MURS would be a problem to cause much worry, poor behaviour would be the thing to draw negative attention.

The is some decent activity in NW IN, mostly the East Chicago/Hammond area.

Civil ops, just shooting the breeze.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.