• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My install

Dog

Oct 26, 2005
Del City, OK
Cobra 29 LTD CLassic, stock mic., Cobra noise canceling speaker, Custom "L" bracket, Wilson all stainless steel mount, Wilson Silverload antenna.

It is as basic as you can get. lol

fuse.jpg

6 gauge wire from the factory distrobution block to a 40 amp maxi-fuse.

fuseblock.jpg

6 guage to a 8 circuit fuse block under the "stand" (lol) that I made.

radio.jpg

Radio and "custom" stand.

speaker.jpg

Noise canceling speaker

truckant2.jpg

Custom "L" bracket and Wilson mount.

Truckant1.jpg

Antenna wide shot.

That is about it.

looks pretty cool to me thx for posting. always cool to see what other people are doin. What are you using for coax? That isnt that rg-59 or whatever is it???? if so you might want to consider some Rg-8x Its a little thicker but has alot less loss and worked better for me. swr a little lower and alot less noise in the recieve. Welcome to the forum.

No problem, yeah that is rg-58. It isn't your standard stuff though. We use it for 100 watt public saftey radios daily (motorola). If I change it I will use lmr400 or 3/8s hardline (only cause all this is free). If I ever run some power (thats why I used the fuse block to hook a amp up or anything else) I will change it out. I have a ton of noise right now but I am gonna shorten my ground and the coax has a lot of excess strung out under the carpet. Those will be fixed tomorrow. I need to get the radio tuned up. Tryin to find an alternative to sending it out.

dog,
to help determine where your noise is coming from; turn the radio on, then unplug the coax connector from the back of the radio.
did the noise disappear?
if yes, then the noise is coming in from the antenna.
if not, then the noise is coming in from the power wires.

if its the antenna, try reconnecting the coax to the radio, and disconnecting the coax from the antenna mount,
noise still there?
could be the coax.
gone?
its the antenna.

if the noise is coming in from the power wires try a noise filter on them.

what is the SWR?
loosecannon

I havn't had time to mess with the noise issue. On a bird 5 watt element there is 3.5 watts forward and 0 reflect. On the radio meter it shows 1.5:1 swr. I don't have a regular swr meter. More than likely it is electrical. I should have grounded it closer to the radio but instead I ran the ground to a factory ground under the hood where the hood is grounded to the firewall. Hopehully I will get more time to mess with it soon. The noise is bad when the ANL/NB switch is off. It isn't to bad when it is in the ANL position. The noise does go up and down with the engine RPM though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.