• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Help with AWG packet engine and AWG BBS

N9OGL

Apr 2, 2008
Does anyone know how to set up AWG Packet engine and AWG BBS?? Were trying to get packet going again here on 2 meters and have a few people interested. I would also like to know how to set up Telnet in AWG, for a program I have, that people could connect to.

Todd N9OGL

I haven't done it with AWG, but I did set up MixW to be a virtual KISS TNC for APRS packet use. I imagine the setup is similar. What software are you going to use for the BBS?

I think I got it pretty much setup, except, I still would like to figure out how to do Telnet through it. The BBS software I'm using is AIZBBS, and I seemed to config it I think right.

Todd N9OGL

Just in case you have it inside out....telnet 'through it' wasn't real clear to me.

If you have a BBS running on a PC. The PC is connected to two networks say, the packet RF network and the 'internet' IP network.

You can telnet over the internet to the BBS if you have that configured...you'll see the BBS prompt just as you would over packet generally.

Via RF you can get in via packet network to the BBS.

Now, some nodes, you can get in to the node via RF and packet, once in the node they have a telnet interface that will allow you to telnet from that point...over the internet generally so it looks like you -> radio -> tnc -> RF -> BBS -> telnet -> internet/IP network -> telnet destination.

Now there are more convoluted IP tunneling over ax.25/packet situations that can muddy this up, but do any of these cover what you want to do?

Well, what I'm wanting to do is this, have a user connect to a computer program over the radio via telnet. Something like this

USER ------------> Computer ----->Program with IP
using Telnet

cut the internet completely out of it. Either put the program on a one computer or put it on a secondary computer going through a LAN

Todd N9OGL

That can be done via node software on the server where the application is hosted. Many of them have telnet in them. So basically the application has to run on its own host so that you could do 'telnet localhost' and have it work.

Next the 'client' using ax.25 packet connects to your RF/TNC connected node with the telnet gateway in it and opens a telnet session to 'localhost' and gets to the application.

Don't forget when writing something for packet that you don't, at 1200 baud, have practical bandwidth for apps that do screen refreshes etc. It has to be an application that waits for input and sends a response...to work well.

Looks like this

client with TNC -> RF to packet network node -> packet node/TNC that has a telnet gateway -> either localhost or another network reachable by node client with the telnet application

Your client is connecting via ax.25 first, then using telnet on the node end that has the telnet based application available.

Yeah, it looks like i'm going to have to pay the $49 and get AWG Pro, which has that capability.

The BBS Software i'm using is AIZBBS works REALLY good, I also found out that with some reprogramming of AWG (by adding a file) you can use F6FBB BBS software which is also good...of course I haven't used it since 1992. I heard it's a lot easier now to set up. Last time I used it, it took to me and two other amateurs two months to get it to work.

Todd N9OGL

Is this something I'd have to do to be able to decode APRS packets from my radio?

I was trying to do that and installed UI-View and AWPE, but I'm just missing something...

I was hoping to find a program like work as easy as the PSK31 programs out there that will decode/encode from the sound card...

Thanks

I was hoping to find a program like work as easy as the PSK31 programs out there that will decode/encode from the sound card...

Thanks

MixW I believe will do this in a TNC mode as someone mentioned earlier. That would show you the raw (UI I think?) packets sent on APRS. Unsure if you can then point an APRS 'application' at MixW or not to further map/plot/decode the SMS etc.

OK, I got AWPE and HAMScope.

It seems to be configured to work the soundcard, but I'm kinda lost.

OK, I'm still lost.

HAMScope starts AGWPE and it seems to communicate with the Soundcard TNC emulator.

From cmd: I can enter commands and they seem to work, such as:

cmd: c YOU

The soundcard then emits a packet on 10 second intervals.

These are the same sounding packets as what I'm hearing on APRS 144.390.

But HAMScope is not decoding the incomming packets, or at least I'm not seeing anything on the screen. I've tried toggling the Monitor On/Off:

cmd: m

I can't tell if that does anything as no status is reported back.

I can monitor the incomming sound via the AGWPE soundcard tuning aid and I also set the on air baud rate to 1200, so I'm stuck here. It should just work now, but not?

So Let me get this straight, I set AGW up with TCP/IP and then a person with TCP/IP can connect to my computer, and from there telnet it the program?

Todd N9OGL

Hey Todd, been wondering what ever happened with that Omega One Radio thing with the FCC?
or did it die when Hollingsworth retired.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.