• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need More Advice Please

CLP

Mar 11, 2008
Hi guys thanks for your opinions on my first post on base antenna advice I have a question I have a cobra base, D104 and a palomar 300 tube amp I live in a sub-division and was wondering if I use this equipment with a quality coax and antenna like the I-10K will I have a problem with my nabers tvs, phones, stereos and computers I would like your opinions. Thanks

id reccomend using lmr400 coax.its low loss and double shieled.
also good grounding is a excellent start.as far as radio make sure limiter
is still intact.if its been removed/clipped your sure to have trouble.
d104 im not crazy bout them but ive found that as long as ya keep them
turned down it helps also.like turn it all way down then on about 1/8 -1/4
of turn no more then just use mic gain on radio for any other adjustment

LMR 400 is great coax, but kinda overkill for HF.

The amount of modulation is very important, as above ^^^^.

Biggest problem is, most home electronics are RF traps. No shielding, plastic enclosures, just hard to keep RF out of them.

A good relationship with the neighbors is best. If you find out the have TVI or other problems, work together to solve them.

I doubt you will have many with your equipment as long as you keep the mod reasonable.

Take his Advice

the Antenna and Feedline

Yes many think LMR-400 is over kill
I say it is the Minimum needed especially when using as in your case a little power

Myself i use far better then LMR-400 even on HF
Andrews Heliax LDF5-50a (but that is me)

Do not even consider less then LMR-400
(perhaps get LMR-600)

the better feedline will not do much regarding getting more power to the antenna
It will help reduce stray RF that can induce interference with your neighbors devices
It might help you have slightly better ears for hearing (maybe)

Whatever you do..your station is a combination of several links that create the your station
However the weakest link quickly brings down the rest of your hard work and pleasure

Many good people on here
I am sure you will figure it out

yea there is better than lmr but i was trying to just getting him started.
i know when i went from standard rg.8 to lmr400 it helped my tvi issue
i difdnt solve it just helped and thats with a bleed stick 1max2k.only thing
i can think of its double shielded.and74in is right on the money dont over modulate
thats were most oif the problems start.keep the power mikes turned down.my
tuner plus3 i run it at 9oclock thats it.rest is done with mic gain on radio.usually at 3oclock.or higher

Hello CLP:

Yes the LMR 400 coax has a better shield and slightly lower loss than other coaxes, like RG8. Some customers report back that installing LMR400 was a help in interference problems.

Interference problems are hard to predict as every radio installation and every neighbor electronics equipement and installations are all different.

Some stations operated with no interference problems and some will have a little. Having the station grounded and using a low pass filter on the output of the amp is a good call.
The ground plane antennas have a much better interference free operation than do the none ground plane antennas. But even the ground plane antennas can experence some interference as near by computer speakers and audio equipement will pick up any near by radiated RF Signals at times. But its easyer to filter out these type of interference problems.

The ARRL sells a good book on Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) or also called Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) both meaning the same thing. 50 cent fancy words.
The book is The ARRL RFI Book.

See the web site listed here for good info on the RFI interference problems.

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfigen.html

Jay in the Mojave

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.