• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 5555N2

OldModel

Apr 8, 2024
Just took delivery of this rig and was learning my way around it. Everything appears fine and lots of useable features in the menus.
The rig will be used 95% of the time on USB on 10 meters during this sunspot cycle. Full as advertised output power on all bands except AM.
AM will adjust to 3.2 watts on low and full is only 19.3 watts. Most likely will never use AM, just curious if anyone else has run across this on a new rig.
No plans on this end to crack the box open to remedy the issue. I did a search and did not see this brought up anywhere. Thanks for any information and comments.

AM on mine is 1.3 watts on low and full is 25. It runs 60 SSB and 40 FM. Brand new out of the box.....
It's only half a radio unless you crack the case and snip the white wire and move the jumper next to it. Without doing that it's only a 10 meter radio. if you do the mod it works on 10, 11 and 12 meters with full coverage. Takes about 5 minutes to do.

Any implied warranty voided by breaking the seal is useless anyways as they don't provide any after sale coverage in North America (unless you got the CRT branded version).

Reactions: S&W357 and unit_399
Full as advertised output power on all bands except AM.
AM will adjust to 3.2 watts on low and full is only 19.3 watts. Most likely will never use AM, just curious if anyone else has run across this on a new rig.
A quality PEP power meter will show you very close the the advertised AM power (between 55-60W PEP in my tests). So, don't worry!

These are a great rig for 10m, and also 12m after the modification.

Reactions: OldModel
Thanks Pez. You are correct. On my Autek WM-1, it is about 67 watts Peak Envelope Power. I was not thinking PEP, I was thinking dead carrier power.
Just was not thinking on all cylinders that day.

Reactions: Pez

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.