• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New radio model release schedule

KJ4RYS

Jan 19, 2010
Does the radio industry have a regular release schedule for new radio models? For example, does Yaesu release a new model every year, 2 years, etc, or is it random? It seems that unlike other electronic consumer goods such as digital cameras which have new models every 12 to 18 months, there is a longer time period between radio releases. How do they announce such new releases, at Hamfests for example? I have heard that the ICOM 706MkIIg is being discontinued in Australia. If they discontinue it in the US then should we be expecting a new/updated model in the next 6 to 12 months? I tried to locate a model release date for previous radios but haven’t been able to find one. I did notice that the copyright on the FT-897D manual is dated 2004. I guess it would be safe to assume that’s when the radio was released. If so, then it’s been at least five years since a new update. Should we be expecting a new release soon?

Since I’m new to amateur radio, I haven’t been able to follow the release schedules as those of you have been in it for many years have.

As always, thanks for the courteous replies.
Mark

I can't answer most of your questions, but I can one or two of them. There is no 'regular' release date for new stuff. There are dates that are sort of 'typical', but don't count on them. One of them is the Dayton Hamfest, lots of stuff gets introduced. From there it's more a matter of whatever the market dictates.
Most manufacturers tend toward a 5 to 8 year time period for equipment introduction. That's also NOT definite by any means, depends on what's selling and how well. After about 3 - 5 years you can figure there will be something 'different' going to happen, but that could be anything.
The '706 is history. Other Icom models do at least the same things, or the 'trend' is in a different direction in equipment. Or, they've just wrung the thing out. Nothing particularly 'wrong' with the '706, it's just out dated (going to get a new 'face', sort of).
From there, your guess is as good as anyone else's.
Hows that for a 'non-answer'? You know as much now as before you read this. Oh well.
- 'Doc

Oh, one other thingy. I've found that manufacturers usually retain parts/stock for a max of about 8 years. After that, they aren't required/expected to keep anything in stock (proprietary stuff). I figure that's a guess at the 'average' expected life span of equipment with how things are built now, SMT, etc.

W5LZ- you answered several questions for me. One is the Dayton hamfest. I figured there would be at least one big event where new models would be released and the Dayton makes sense since it is the first big hamfest of the year. Is Dayton the CES of the radio world, or is there even a comparison?

The 5-8 year range is helpful. I kind of figured that was the range given from my limited knowledge and research. Of course that's not a definite rule but pretty close.

I guess you can tell what is really on my mind; I would hate to buy something new today and then have a new model released next month. I know there are no guarantees but I am trying to research as much as possible to help lower the chance of that happening. With computers, digital cameras, etc, you can usually get a good heads up on when a new model is being released. I'm not exactly looking for the "latest and greatest", just the best bang for the buck.

Thanks,
Mark

Is Dayton the CES of the radio world, or is there even a comparison?

In the U.S., yes it is (although CES pales it by comparison). The replacement for the Icom 706 is the Icom 7000. It's been out for a couple of years and is really a leap ahead of the 706. Yaesu hasn't shown anything new to replace the 857D yet, not even in preview form.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.