• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to Shortwave Need some help, PLEASE

L

liberator32

Hello

I am very new to the shortwave community and would like a little advise. I am considering buying myfirst shortwave and would like to spend around 100.00, used or new. I do not know much about frequencies, bands etc. I have been looking at Grundig receivers, predominantly the yb400pe and the s350. I plan to mostly listen while at home, but traveling with my receiver could be nice. I am an avid musician and an electronics enthusiast to some degree, so options such as hooking up to my home or professional stereo would be cool. I see that the s350 doesn’t have a number pad but the yb does. Which one is considered a more “professional” device. Does the YB series lack features due to its lightweight and portability? Are there other brands (please be specific about the model too) I should consider, and why? Please shed some light!!!

Thanks a lot

</p>

Grundig YB400PE

A friend recently picked up a Grundig YB400PE. I asked him to let me know how he liked it. Here is his report...

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had ordered one of these radios. Well, I now have it and, I've had some time to try it out.
I'm impressed.
For the size of it the sound is good, not great, but good. It's very sensitive on the receive. That includes its FM reception as well. And even on 80 meters this thing works well with just the antenna supplied. The AGC is a little sharp. And it seems to have a few problems sorting out the stronger signals. But that's no surprise.
All in all, If you're looking for a good little receiver for a decent price I suggest having a look at one of these.
It comes with an external antenna, adapter and ear buds. And a very good user manual. Oh yes, And it is very easy to pick up and use.
Not to mention a customer support phone number comes with it just in case you can't read your way through it. lol

...Name withheld

No mention of an ext. speaker jack but I hope this helps to some degree.
956-Dana

If it's portables you seek then Sony and Sangean made some nice ones w/ digital displays if you can locate them at hamfests or through online auctions. For base station models, the old Heathkits, Hallicrafters, and the radio chack dx100 and such are decent. Certain Grundigs are good but they have their share of mediocre models. TenTec is a great little radio as well and often portable meaning it can run off of a car cig. lighter plug.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.