• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Microphone question

teejayh39

Mar 22, 2014
I am sorry if this isn't a real CB radio question but I could use some help. I drive a school bus as a part time job. The bus has a CB radio in it that works fine. My question is about the microphone that is on the bus for the internal PA. The mic worked fine until someone pulled on it too hard and ripped the wires out of the plug. It is a 5 pin plug and connects into the PA system jack. I would like to replace the microphone (it does come in handy at times). I bought a $10 replacement 5 pin mic off of ebay (Superstar DM-507-5). When I plug the new mic in the AM/FM radio shuts completely off until I press the speak button on the mic then it plays music fine. I am guessing that there are other types of 5 pin mics and I bought the wrong kind. The Mic on the bus is a ProComm Power Mic. I searched for this model but only found 4 pin types.

Does anyone know what type of mic I can buy to replace this? I can't afford an expensive one (and sometimes these mics just vanish off the vehicles too) but really would like to be able use the PA system again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:

It may just be a problem with how the mic is wired to the mic plug.
Different makes and models of CB radios often have different wiring to the mic plug. Public address units would have the same issue I would guess.
A schematic for the PA unit would be helpful.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.