• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie needs help

jbo

Sep 27, 2005
Oscoda MI
2 questions really

1) How to set the swr on a pc76xl with radio? Don't have access to swr meter.

2) Can't get anyone to respond to a radio check or hear anyone on 19. Not sure if this is related to swr issue.

It has a swr cal knob on it but I can't seem to find instructions for using that to set the swr. Any one know how to do it. I am using a Wilson 500 ant with it.

swr

switch it to cal funcion with radio on ch 20

key the mic and turn the cal knob till the needle on the meter goes to were it say cal on the meter

turn it to swr then key the mic . you should try to get your swr low as possible. start with the whip on the wilson as low as it will go in the magmount and move it up a bit if it goes down after u recheck your swr like it first didn as i describes move it up some more. if u move the whip and they seem to get higheru might have to cut some off the whip . cut a 1/4 inch off at a time. your wilson should give i directions on how to tune your antenna

SWR testing instructions for PC78 (and most other radio with built-in SWR meter w/calibration knob.

1. Place meter switch in CAL position.
2. Key mic, hold it keyed, without modulating
3. While keyed, use CAL knob to position needle of meter over calibration arrow, located near upper-right corner of meter. For easier location of mark, look at top red line, and towards the right end of teh red line, you'll see the arror just above.
4. Release mic key, and set meter switch to SWR.
5. Key mic again, take reading from top meter scale. needle not moving = 1 to 1 match, needle at the W in SWR is about 1.5, etc
6. switch channel to next one to be tested, and repeat 1 through 5

Note: Those meters are notoriously inaccurate, especially at higher SWR's. If you see an SWR reading of 2 or more, assume its well over 3. if the needle remains at the S in SWR or below, you're generally safe.

If the SWR on 1 is higher than on 40, you need to lengthen your antenna. If 40 is high, shorten.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.