• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

noise bridge

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
Was going through some boxes and came across this little box.
It says Palomar Engineers,on the back side of box it has 2 so239 connecters one says RCVR the other UNKNOWN on the right side is a place for a 9V batt. on the front are 2 dials, on
left it says XC 0-70 XL 0-70. On the right side it says R OFF to 250. was wondering what this does and what do you use it on,thanks for any help you can provide.

It's an Antenna Noise Bridge...if you do a Google search on >antenna noise bridge palomar<, one of the many things you'll come up with is THIS.

There's also a link to the BAMA site where the manual is probably on file.

I have a noise bridge that Lazybones gave me. Funny story behind it....there was a long thread with all kinds of folks surmising what it might be...even included a picture. When I identified it, he said I could have it since I knew what it was. They're really kind of outdated with tools like MFJ (or other) analyzers, but they really do work good if you know how to use it.

Beetle, Moleculo,

Thanks for the help that link helped alot. I am going to play with with this thing and see if I can get use to using it. It would be good to know how to use even though it might be a little out dated. Just something else to play with on a rainy day.Thanks again.

We used them quite a bit back in the late 50s (when they first came on the market) and through the mid-80s. Very useful, as Moleculo says, if you know HOW to use it! A better teaching tool than an analyzer because it's not as intuitive - you have to know WHY you're doing each step along the way.

Beetle,
Thanks I hope that I can learn how to use it and understand what Im doing with it.I like learning how things work and why they work. When I first joined this forum I thought I knew something about radios, what I found out is that I didnt know anything except how to talk on one. Lot of good info and great people here, I just keep learnig every time I log on.Thanks again for the help.

Moleculo said:
I have a noise bridge that Lazybones gave me. Funny story behind it....there was a long thread with all kinds of folks surmising what it might be...even included a picture. When I identified it, he said I could have it since I knew what it was. They're really kind of outdated with tools like MFJ (or other) analyzers, but they really do work good if you know how to use it.

Did it work Mole?

Yes, it works. I only just played with it a couple times. If you understand what it's doing, it's really not hard to use. I have an analyzer, so I just have it here more as a teaching tool or something cool to have than anything else.

Moleculo said:
Yes, it works. I only just played with it a couple times. If you understand what it's doing, it's really not hard to use. I have an analyzer, so I just have it here more as a teaching tool or something cool to have than anything else.

Good. I got it on ebay for $4.99 or something like that. I "thought" it was an antenna tuner at the time. lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.