• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

noise filtering help

ALFRED56

Dec 2, 2012
NNJ
Need to filter my wiper motor and blower plus after market fuel pump I know I can go it with caps just don't know what ones to but to do this.
Thanks for the help in advanced this is on a 84 f150 thanks

I have had good luck with 3000uf 25 volt caps on some vehicles. also I have used old caps that are used on the old point type distributers on cars also. put the center lead on the hot wire and ground the ground or negative lead. what I liked about the condensor used in distrbuters it has a metal case with a tab to screw it to ground.
you will just have to try different ones to see what works the best in your rig.

For typical brush noise in something like a wiper motor, the first thing would be to clean up the commutator and install new brushes (which might exceed the cost of a new motor).

If there's still noise, the best I've ever used is disc ceramic; anything from 0.1 - 0.5 microfarads, with a working voltage of at least 50VDC. Install as close to the motor housing as possible and keep the ground lead as short as possible. These aren't polarity-sensitive either lead to the motor hot lead and the other lead to ground. Note how much difference one capacitor makes and judge for yourself if you need (or want) to add another in parallel to see how much it changes things. Might change; might not.

Same for the fuel pump, but here you don't want to get into the tank. Just as close to the tank as possible. Hot lead and ground.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.