• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noob Questions DTMF and more

maximus

Oct 2, 2005
Florida
ok, this is my first post on this forum :shock: ....

quick backround (mine) :

Born and raised in central europe, 40ch CB hobby,
before cellphones went major i got me ALLAMAT 296, whick looks same as President HARRISON mine is expanded to 600 ch :twisted:
finally i moved to US (florida) and i got me Midland 79-290 and i really like it!

questions :
1) why i don`t hear any DTMF calls on CB in US (Florida) ?
2) how much shops (Justin) usualy charges for tune/peek service ?
3) Since distances in US are much greater than in EU i might need some kind of AMP for receiving / transmiting give me a clue pls (low budget :) ) i can`t have LARGE ant. because of goddamn Home Owners Association :x

DTMF isn't really used in the US. Legal issue, I believe, but I'm not sure. As for your antenna, if the homeowner's association didn't say anything about flagpoles, just put up a 55-ft PVC flagpole, with a Solarcon A99 mounted inside of it.

1. Because it's not legal, no CB comes with it here, and nobody here would know what to do with it on CB, anyway.

2. maybe $25-$30 for a basic job, $65+ for extensive mods?

3. I suppose that depends on what you're trying to accomplish. A couple hundred watts works wonders compared to 4 or 12.......

First of all thanks for your replys.

As for your antenna, if the homeowner's association didn't say anything about flagpoles, just put up a 55-ft PVC flagpole, with a Solarcon A99 mounted inside of it.

:x no flag poles allowed i have at this time nice lil
FS%20LOGO_b.gif

(KW5-? 5 Ft (152cm) 5/8 wave Rated @ 500 watts)

maybe $25-$30 for a basic job, $65+ for extensive mods?
that is good deal i`ll have to contact justin soon :D

If you need a few extra hundred watts???

i don`t think so... that my be too evil. i would like to improove reception without having a huge antenna 8)

as far as DTMF isue, back in europe on regular 40/80 ch CB bands a lot of peple have selective calling feature (me to on my allamat 296). it works in simple way : quick depress and release of mike talk button will lock cb reciver (no matter where squelch is set or auto squelch) and if another person on your channel dials (With tone dialer) your 4 digit number , your radio will give a sound like a cell phone ... then you can just press talk and just use normaly. it is very practical especially if your radio is set on channel that a lot of ppl use for communication but you do not want to be disturbed/ but still reachable.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.