• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

opinions on finals

6string

CB Lunatic
Jun 25, 2011
jw whatis really true ive seen guys post irf520 with resisters changed etc putts out 45-50 watts ive also heard that a 520 wont do that many watts?

ive heard people say a 1969 final was the same as a 520?

last when you install a rfx75 ive heard others say they put out 8o watts-110
even tho those are just two 520s driving the radio?

wanted some opinions from people that have true watts

I am not big on mosfets but we are kinda stuck with them. The 520 or 2030 mosfet final are in no way a "direct swap" with an old school 1969 or 2312 final. The output section has to be re-worked some to switch to mosfets. This is why you see a wide range of claimed wattage, some shops know what the heck they are doing and have all the little tricks ironed out. Most DIYer's don't and then you read posts here where someone "did the swap" and only get 20 watts.

As far as the RFX-75 units, they are a single ERF2030 driving a single ERF7530. The same rule holds true, a skilled tech can make em bark and do 100-120 watts in an AM radio. Some guy in his garage with a soldering iron maybe 60-70 watts.

If you have a working radio that runs the old style finals leave it be. If you smoked your Cobra 29 and you want to have a shop do a mosfet conversion and mod go for it. I will also say if you like to tinker and have an old 25/29 you want to mess with cbtricks.com or you tube should have step by step directions.

yah i was just trying to get some opinions on what average watts would be on a rfx75

and opinions on 520 cuz ive others say they only do 30 watts max

For the RFX units a lot depends on where it gets it's power from. In SSB radio applications the voltage level is lower and they only do 70ish watts. In a Cobra 29 they get a higher voltage level so the wattage goes up a tad. There is probably a more technically correct way to say that but that's what I remember.

With mosfet mods in radio's, all depends on how complete of a install/tune/mod the tech does. Another factor is on a bench at 14.5 volts into a dummy load on his meter you might see 45 watts. Run it on a base at 13 volts into an antenna on a different watt meter and bam ya got 32 watts. Who is right? Does it really matter? I don't know.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.