• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions on mag mount scanner antennas?

S

slickpenguin

Im planning on getting a pro 94 or 95, and was wondering if its worth buying a mag mount scanner antenna, or if its just as good as leaving the stock antenna on the scanner. Ive seen a couple for around 20 bucks on ebay, but I know just about anything is suitable for an antenna using scanners. Basically, is there any advantage gained by having an antenna mounted on your roof over having the stock antenna inside the car with you?

</p>

An outside mag mount should recieve better than the anternna on the scanner in what you can pick up. It depends on what you want to monitor. If you are getting good results with the scanner antenna inside the vehicle, forget the mag mount. But if you are on the fringe area of the station you want to monitor an outside antenna will show a big difference.

You will notice a big differance.I use a handheld VHF/UHF radio inside the vehicle now and then and as far as duckie antennas goes it has one of the better ones but when I connect the external dual band antenna there is a BIG differance especially on the weaker signals.Besides that there is no waving the radio around in front of the windshield to get a better signal.

Go with the pro-95, I have had both. The mag mount makes a big difference, however I keep knocking it off the top of my F-150.

Go with the pro-95, I have had both. The mag mount makes a big difference, however I keep knocking it off the top of my F-150.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.