• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PA Speaker

shoebox

Oct 26, 2005
Kentucky
I just got a whole new CB setup! which included a SPECO PA speaker that I bought on Ebay. It came with a two wire hookup, no plug since it is heavier duty. So I picked up a mono plug at Radioshack and tried to wire it up real quick to see if the speaker worked. I got sound out of the speaker, when I keyed the mic you could hear it, and while in PA mode if I turned on the weather stations I could get them to come out of the PA, but when I tried to speak into the mic nothing came out of the PA

What am I doing wrong, or what is wrong with my radio/PA? (I am hoping it is just something stupid since I was hurrying, really didn't have time to be messing with it)

Alright well, I figured out what my problem was, I had mic gain turned all the way down and I found out that mic gain controls volume while in PA mode.

New problem though, I am unable to get it up very loud before it starts to squeel. Anyone know what is causing this, how can it be improved? Would a better mic help?

It is not very loud at all like this, I know the speaker can handle much more, I tried plugging it in as ext. speaker and turned the volume all the way up and it was extremely loud! I want it to be like that while talking from it!!

ok, that may be problem now that I think about it! thanks. It was pretty close since I just had it sitting there while I was testing it out. Will test out!

At least your radio HAS a mike-gain knob. Without that, you'd have to move the speaker farther away, like under the hood of your car. A noise-cancelling mike will reduce the tendency to "howl".

Had one of those in high school. I could hold the mike out the open window and get feedback howl. And odd looks from bystanders.

Never got into trouble putting the mike in my mouth and making siren noises. Probably should have.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.