• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Passed tech

KJ4RYS

Jan 19, 2010
Hey all, I passed the Tech exam on Saturday. Got my new call sign today: KJ4RYS. I am studying now for the General.

Mark

Good man! That's the way to do it---go ahead and get your General now, and maybe even take the Extra test at that time, just to get a preview of it, and then go for THAT!

I actually took the General on Saturday. I figured I wouldn't pass since I hadn't studied for it but the VE's persuaded me to try it anyway. I missed a few so I'll study for it for the next time. I may take a shot at the Extra as well.

The VE entered our results online the day of the exam and I got my callsign today- pretty fast. There were 8 of us taking the test. It seemed to be a good turnout.

I am going to attend a RACES meeting Thursday night. I’m going to apply for membership if all goes well. Next Tuesday is Storm Spotter training. I really like the emergency communication aspect of Amateur Radio.

Thanks for the congratulations and encouragement. Just need to make up my mind and buy a rig; FT897D or maybe an HT. As I stated in a previous post, I would like a radio that I can use in the house and the car.

Mark

The Extra is on my to-do list. I have been studying the General. So far its been more rules and regulations. I'm looking forward to the electronics section. I have an associate degree in electronics technology so I should do well in that area. Anyway, I'm lovin it.

As far as a station goes, I'm hoping to buy one radio to use in the car and the house; HF/UHF/VHF in the house and 2m/7cm in the car. I also plan to do some Storm Spotting and emergency comms, so I'm also considering a handheld a little later. I really like everything I've read about the FT897D, haven't "touched" it yet though.

I have a lot more research to do on antennas before I make a decision on them:confused:.

There is definitaley a lot to learn. That's part of the fun though.:)

Mark

Congrats!! You'll do fine on the next two.

The Extra is on my to-do list. I have been studying the General. So far its been more rules and regulations. I'm looking forward to the electronics section. I have an associate degree in electronics technology so I should do well in that area. Anyway, I'm lovin it.

As far as a station goes, I'm hoping to buy one radio to use in the car and the house; HF/UHF/VHF in the house and 2m/7cm in the car. I also plan to do some Storm Spotting and emergency comms, so I'm also considering a handheld a little later. I really like everything I've read about the FT897D, haven't "touched" it yet though.

Of course I'm partial to the rig but don't forget to give the Icom 706MKIIG or a IC7000 a look see as well.

I have a lot more research to do on antennas before I make a decision on them:confused:.

There is definitaley a lot to learn. That's part of the fun though.:)

Mark

Wayne C.

PASSED

Congratulations my friend, a whole new world of fun and adventure now awaits you, and keep on plugging on the general.

DOCTOR/795
HAMSPHERE
CQ 100
FRN..FREE RADIO NETWORK

Superb!

Way to go!

Now you can run some pretty decent fire in the wire, and do so legally. (Staying within the band plan, of course -- hee hee hee)

Go get that General and see you on HF!

Rob

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.