• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Please help me understand "compatibility"

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
On one of the lists I subscribe to, there are often posts that go something like this: "I'm considering buying XYZ amp to go with my HF rig. I'm a (pick your favorite activity) big CW contester or rag chewer or dx chaser and want to know from other's experience if these two units are compatible."

I must be missing something here. What is possibly meant by "compatible"? I usually just put the amp I want to use inline, hook up all the connections, see if I need to accommodate some sort of keying circuit issues, set the rig drive level appropriately, and use it. What else is there?

You know, you are supposed to lower the dead key to 2 watts so you can run a FatBoy amp!
LOL!
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

AS far as Ham amps go, the older amps have an ALC line and make the hookup a bit confusing to me.
I dunno . . .

a big cw guy may need fast qsk, probably not so bothered about a loud blower so long as it keeps his weapon of choice alive,

a digimode guy may prefer an amp with oversized supply and high duty cycle, not so bothered about a loud blower, the way he uses his amp it needs it,

a phone guy could like a lower noise blower alc compatibility with his radio ect,
maybe thats the kind of thing they mean.

Despite what they claim, they're probably a neewbie, at least to amplifiers....probably going on their 1st HF ham grade amp....and want to know if it's plug n' play like their CB amp was, or if they're going to have to hook all sort of other things up or make additional adjustments like you mentioned (Mo).

Good question!
Basically means how easy it's gonna be to make things work as you 'expect' without reading the appropriate manuals and knowing/understanding what they mean.
- 'Doc

While bob makes some good points I believe that the compatibility issue is that of the operator and whether he should actually own an amp or not. :laugh:Asking if amp X is compatible with transceiver Y shows a lack of understanding of both pieces of gear and how they work.A 50+ tear old amp is still compatible with the latest and greatest transceiver if you know what to do.

As far as the QSK thing goes - that's usually either an option or built-in...the specs would say that.

I can see Bob's point, though...but if it was me, I would just ask the specific questions I want to know and not use general phrases like "compatible".

I went back and read some of the posts and I think I see a common trend. A lot of these guys may be primarily CW or digital mode types and have never felt the need for an amp, but after all of these years finally decided to step up their game. It never hurts to ask questions before spending some serious cash, but the nature of the questions just seems a bit odd to me.

We all have to learn somehow.

Not everyone is on the same level technically speaking on this forum. They see the brand name and model of a radio being the key factor in "compatibility" where as the rest of of us know the label on the rig has nothing to do with it.

I.e...."is a cobra XX compatable with a Fat Turd 12 pills amp?" :drool:

a big cw guy may need fast qsk,...
a digimode guy .. high duty cycle
a phone guy could like a lower noise..

add
'instant warm-up" for DX'ers

i think the most common issue is the keying circuit, my PROIII sure wouldn't like to key my SB 200 without a buffer relay;)

Not everyone is on the same level technically speaking on this forum. They see the brand name and model of a radio being the key factor in "compatibility" where as the rest of of us know the label on the rig has nothing to do with it.

I.e...."is a cobra XX compatable with a Fat Turd 12 pills amp?" :drool:

That would be funny if he were asking about CB'ers, but he's not. It's your beloved brethren that he is referring to :love:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.