• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant PC-999AC (MB8719) No Receive/ No PA issue.

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
President Grant MB8719 TR50.jpgPresident Grant MB8719 Audio Chip.jpg
Hello everyone,
This one I have had since about a year and a half. From the previous thread, I did end up getting that NTE294 and flipped it as needed to replace TR50. Good news is that Transmit works no problems. There is no receive at all. Dead in the water on all modes. Even PA mode you can yell into the mic and no audio comes out the speaker.

The Audio chip gets uncomfortably hot. I don't want to leave it on for long periods of time. At one point last year I did replace that audio chip, but cant remember if that brought back the audio or if I replaced it though it worked but it was just getting hot. Now there is simply no receive audio. All the capacitors in the radio have been replaced. (Apologies for the ones sticking to a side goofy, just didn't have the right physical sized ones at the time.)I did remove the legs of the audio chip for the time being to see if something else was getting hot, but things stay normal when in AM mode. The moment you go into LSB or USB, the big resistor near the back of the radio and that smaller transistor the D471 gets HOT. Cools back down once you put it back on AM mode.

The diodes in the front of the audio chip seem to be ok and nothing shorted. Hope some guidance can help narrow down what's happening. Thank you all for the help with the other radios.

For clarification....

Everything you described sound like an audio problem.

Except.... you said..."transmit works fine".

Are you including modulation in that transmit? Does modulation work in transmit??

For clarification....

Everything you described sound like an audio problem.

Except.... you said..."transmit works fine".

Are you including modulation in that transmit? Does modulation work in transmit??
You can transmit and talk, and sounds great. AM especially sounds good.

What's a voltage on IC6 pin 5?
Mike
Sorry, I misread.. I thought you meant Pin 6. Pin 5 is a ground. It has a NEC 1242H audio chip. On Pin 6, it was at 2.69v, then slowly was increasing a .01v every few seconds.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.