• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem child TRC-458

slingslingbinks

Aug 31, 2023
It all started when a friend told me about his cherry TRC-458, He'd has several tech's work on it and he wanted me to swap out all the electrolytic cap's.
He said it just DIDN'T seam rite, He though the audio CLIPPED out but it was his call to change the cap's. So i volunteered my services,
After seeing unit 399, J. J's article and doing the research on some cap kit's use cheap cap's. i decided to go through the sam's book and select the best and 105*C Nichicon cap's with atleast 25V there were in Mouser's website, I also grabbed extra's, some diodes, ect, I placed the order and swapped out the cap's, (What a PITA), Anyway. After all was said and done i performed the alignment according to Sam's and i wasn't happy at all with the SSB transmit and receive. I found a service manual that JJ posted and i followed it and i was happy.
After many day's of test driving the radio i returned it to the friend and i received payment.
A few week's passed and the friend said that USB was putting out more watt's and it seamed to drift in frequency after a good warm up. I always let my gear warm up and even cover it with a towel to keep it warm,
I got the radio back and after e-mailing JJ and several chat's he said to recheck his website because he updated some info. And low and behold there was a picture of the cap's to swap out and there were some Tant, cap's i wasn't aware of. Order more part's and replace the forgotten tant, cap's,
Fast forward past another realignment and to the testing. Now i run a Maco 750 and while testing the maco failed to key up, I tested the maco with my IC-718 and it wasn't keying with the icom either.
So off to the bench the maco goes for a recap and foot petal key up setup to bypass the RF keying system, Everything was good and the maco is working again with the Icom, I grab the TRC-458 and there is no power output from it. Back to the bench goes the TRC-458, The 1st thing i check is the driver and final bias amp draw, Well the Driver pegged my meter out and i pulled the driver and the final and test with my transistor tester and the driver was fubar. I alway's set the adjustment's rite on the money and i know the bias amperage was in speck.
I bought some 2SC1306's and 1307's from a seller on e-bay because Mouser didn't stock them and installed the part's and still nadda, Learning about fake transistor's and all was a hind site, After learning that the driver can be swapped with a 2SC2166 and the final with a 2SC1969, I ordered some HG 2SC2166's and some HG2SC1969's from ICA. I installed these part's, set the bias and ran through the alignment again and again no watt's output, I have double checked the bias amperage, Went back through the pll and transmit alignment so may time's my head hurt's.

Now i do have one advantage. I have a working TRC-458 here and i thought, I'll pull the driver and final out of the non working 458 and put them in the working 458, Low and behold the working 458 still work's. my plan was to swap the driver and final from the working 458 to the non working 458, but 2 leg's broke off the driver and i just put the hg's in the non working and it's still inop.
Now before anyone ask me what the dc voltages and all, I don't think the dc volt suggestion's in the sam's diagram are kosher, I can check the voltages between the working radio and the inop one and there both close to each other and not what the sam's diagram say's. The differences are in the C of the driver and the C of the final. Sam's say's 4.7VDC on the driver and 4.9VDC on TX for the final and The non working 458 show's 8VDC on both, the working 458 shows 11VDC on driver and 43VDC on the final. The negitive lead's are connected to board ground not chassis ground. I dunno why the working final c volt's is so high.

Now here's the kicker, On the working 458, On channel 1, 26.965mhZ i can hook up a freq counter and probe FET 6, G & D, TR45 C, TR44 C, TR43, C and the output at the coax and the freq counter read's 26.965 , Now when i probe G2 of FET7 i get 7.8mhZ and G1 i get 34.7mhZ, This goes through FET7 and 26.965mhZ merges from the output. The non working 458 is fubar from here,
The non working 458's input's into FET are the same, But it's the output that's different, The D of FET7 is the same as the input of G1 34.7mhZ.
I've swapped the FET7 from the working 458 to the non working 458 and the working one still work's, Ive done the same swap with FET6 and TR45.......

Since everything from FET7's output is fubar, I believe this is my low power problem. I can get around 1/2 watt out of the non working 458 and when i do, the output freq is around 21mhZ, To me it's like having a vfo on a browning and your trying to talk so far out of the 11 meter band, ya drop the output power.

BTW before ya say, Why am i getting 7/8 mhZ on G2 on FET7,,, It's becuse eather the sam's wiring code that shows' the 7.8mhZ going to G1 in the wiring diagram is wrong or the pin out on page 52 is wrong. I have a board here that i traced and the path from the 7.8mhZ, L39 goes to G2 of FET7 not G1 like the wiring diagram on page 78.

I messed with this non working 458 for a whole week, checking this and that, swapping part's and all so much i need a break, Time to recap another Tram d-201 until i get my head straight.

If anyone has any idea's and can explain all this, and help me fix it, I'll buy ya a steak dinner,

Later's Scott from Colorado

Not saying this is your problem, but I had a similar issue last week with a TRC-449. Culprit turned out to be L39, which feeds 7.8MHz to FET7. One of the legs on the secondary was open. It would allow enough of the 7.8Mhz through to show on the o'scope, but not enough for FET7 to use for mixing with the 34 MHz VCO signal.

Good luck!

Thank's TM86.
I saw your comment in this thread...
I'll trade the L39 from the working one to the inop 458

Well it was a good idea to try the L39, But the working 458 still work's and the inop one is still inop.
One thing i did was make sure the ferrite core will turn in the working one before the swap and i know the one removed from the inop one turn's.
Once i swapped them both over, and keyed the inop and nadda, even trying to adj the core,
now the working 458 with the L39 from the inop was barley putting out any watt's, But the freq counter was counting 26.965 even with it barley putting out any watt's, Adjusting the core brought up the watt's on the working unit.
Back to the Tram until something else comes up.

The Tram is done and back on the 458.

Swapped L37, L38 and FET7 from the working 458 to the inop 458 and no change, The working 458 is working with part's from the inop 458.
I've compared all voltages into L37 at point's 17, 144,143 and compared between the two radio's and every thing and both are the same.
Compared voltages at FET 7 at point's 19 and 20 and both are the same.
I can't understand why FET7 is not mixing the 34.7mhZ and the 7.8mhZ signal's when i have checked and swapped all the above part's.\
I did find this article in Lou franklin's book on Understanding and repairing cb radio's, Page 237 and i circled what he say's about TR33 lock det, turning off FET 7, And i did check the voltages at point 17, 144 and 143 and between the two 458's, there good.Scan.jpg

It all started when a friend told me about his cherry TRC-458, He'd has several tech's work on it and he wanted me to swap out all the electrolytic cap's.
He said it just DIDN'T seam rite, He though the audio CLIPPED out but it was his call to change the cap's. So i volunteered my services,
After seeing unit 399, J. J's article and doing the research on some cap kit's use cheap cap's. i decided to go through the sam's book and select the best and 105*C Nichicon cap's with atleast 25V there were in Mouser's website, I also grabbed extra's, some diodes, ect, I placed the order and swapped out the cap's, (What a PITA), Anyway. After all was said and done i performed the alignment according to Sam's and i wasn't happy at all with the SSB transmit and receive. I found a service manual that JJ posted and i followed it and i was happy.
After many day's of test driving the radio i returned it to the friend and i received payment.
A few week's passed and the friend said that USB was putting out more watt's and it seamed to drift in frequency after a good warm up. I always let my gear warm up and even cover it with a towel to keep it warm,
I got the radio back and after e-mailing JJ and several chat's he said to recheck his website because he updated some info. And low and behold there was a picture of the cap's to swap out and there were some Tant, cap's i wasn't aware of. Order more part's and replace the forgotten tant, cap's,
Fast forward past another realignment and to the testing. Now i run a Maco 750 and while testing the maco failed to key up, I tested the maco with my IC-718 and it wasn't keying with the icom either.
So off to the bench the maco goes for a recap and foot petal key up setup to bypass the RF keying system, Everything was good and the maco is working again with the Icom, I grab the TRC-458 and there is no power output from it. Back to the bench goes the TRC-458, The 1st thing i check is the driver and final bias amp draw, Well the Driver pegged my meter out and i pulled the driver and the final and test with my transistor tester and the driver was fubar. I alway's set the adjustment's rite on the money and i know the bias amperage was in speck.
I bought some 2SC1306's and 1307's from a seller on e-bay because Mouser didn't stock them and installed the part's and still nadda, Learning about fake transistor's and all was a hind site, After learning that the driver can be swapped with a 2SC2166 and the final with a 2SC1969, I ordered some HG 2SC2166's and some HG2SC1969's from ICA. I installed these part's, set the bias and ran through the alignment again and again no watt's output, I have double checked the bias amperage, Went back through the pll and transmit alignment so may time's my head hurt's.

Now i do have one advantage. I have a working TRC-458 here and i thought, I'll pull the driver and final out of the non working 458 and put them in the working 458, Low and behold the working 458 still work's. my plan was to swap the driver and final from the working 458 to the non working 458, but 2 leg's broke off the driver and i just put the hg's in the non working and it's still inop.
Now before anyone ask me what the dc voltages and all, I don't think the dc volt suggestion's in the sam's diagram are kosher, I can check the voltages between the working radio and the inop one and there both close to each other and not what the sam's diagram say's. The differences are in the C of the driver and the C of the final. Sam's say's 4.7VDC on the driver and 4.9VDC on TX for the final and The non working 458 show's 8VDC on both, the working 458 shows 11VDC on driver and 43VDC on the final. The negitive lead's are connected to board ground not chassis ground. I dunno why the working final c volt's is so high.

Now here's the kicker, On the working 458, On channel 1, 26.965mhZ i can hook up a freq counter and probe FET 6, G & D, TR45 C, TR44 C, TR43, C and the output at the coax and the freq counter read's 26.965 , Now when i probe G2 of FET7 i get 7.8mhZ and G1 i get 34.7mhZ, This goes through FET7 and 26.965mhZ merges from the output. The non working 458 is fubar from here,
The non working 458's input's into FET are the same, But it's the output that's different, The D of FET7 is the same as the input of G1 34.7mhZ.
I've swapped the FET7 from the working 458 to the non working 458 and the working one still work's, Ive done the same swap with FET6 and TR45.......

Since everything from FET7's output is fubar, I believe this is my low power problem. I can get around 1/2 watt out of the non working 458 and when i do, the output freq is around 21mhZ, To me it's like having a vfo on a browning and your trying to talk so far out of the 11 meter band, ya drop the output power.

BTW before ya say, Why am i getting 7/8 mhZ on G2 on FET7,,, It's becuse eather the sam's wiring code that shows' the 7.8mhZ going to G1 in the wiring diagram is wrong or the pin out on page 52 is wrong. I have a board here that i traced and the path from the 7.8mhZ, L39 goes to G2 of FET7 not G1 like the wiring diagram on page 78.

I messed with this non working 458 for a whole week, checking this and that, swapping part's and all so much i need a break, Time to recap another Tram d-201 until i get my head straight.

If anyone has any idea's and can explain all this, and help me fix it, I'll buy ya a steak dinner,

Later's Scott from Colorado
I got a headache now...

Thank's for the get back brandon.
I pulled D53, it checked ok on my transistor tester.
No info on 1S2473 in Mouser or NTE.
Did a interchange on it and found a 1N4148 is the interchange.
Installed a new 1N4248 (Easy'r to put new in with long lead's) and still nothing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.