• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Proposal

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I've been wondering about the price of used amateur radio equipment. It seems a bit high to me, but many times it seems that the radio community agrees with the prices.

A few examples are:

TS-2000 - $1300
TS-480HX - $920
VX-7R - $220
etc.

Do most people agree with the used equipment pricing? Usually I take the stance of, Nothing ventured, nothing gained. But then again, I don't want to waste anyone's time or be accused of lowballing.

So, I came up with an idea. Someone send me $330 for a VX-8R. I'll use it for 5 years and then ship it back to them for free.

...So, I came up with an idea. Someone send me $330 for a VX-8R. I'll use it for 5 years and then ship it back to them for free.

Good idea, hi hi.

Your observations are pretty much in line with mine. I think the particular marketplace in which said gear is for sale can sometimes set the acceptable prices, i.e. eBay. IMHO, eBay pricing is usually high, comparatively, and a "good deal" is not always easy to find.

OTOH, hamfests seem to offer about the lowest pricing levels of anywhere. Other online swap lists are somewhat better than eBay, in many instances.

I'm kinda bummed that I missed our first-of-the-year swap meet. You can find some good deals at the first and last meets!

I did get a good deal on an HT of craigslist, but this is really, really rare.

What really gets me is that I see used stuff sell for new sale prices. Where do these suckers come from and whay are there so many?

IMHO, Amateur radio gear is already over priced! Whatever happened to supply and demand? It's such a limited market. Compare the VX-8R with something like the iPhone. Not anywhere near as complex nor does it have anywhere near the features, nor will it sell anywhere near as many, yet the price is about the same! I guess we hams are just willing to pay. And I'm sure if we didn't, the prices would not come down, the MFGs would just quit! That's what I think Kenwood is gonna do.

I've found the prices of used equipment to be on the high side myself especially when you consider the 'Box of Chocolate' effect. You never know what you are going to get.

With that in mind I have made a conscious decision to buy only new equipment and to swear off ebay for good.

IMHO, Amateur radio gear is already over priced! Whatever happened to supply and demand? It's such a limited market. Compare the VX-8R with something like the iPhone. Not anywhere near as complex nor does it have anywhere near the features, nor will it sell anywhere near as many, yet the price is about the same! I guess we hams are just willing to pay. And I'm sure if we didn't, the prices would not come down, the MFGs would just quit! That's what I think Kenwood is gonna do.

You actually described why they are that high, development and tooling costs are spread over a smaller sales volume thus the prices are higher.

As for used prices many people factor in the sales tax on the original radio price.

In all honesty radio's today are considerably cheaper that say 20 years ago with far more features. You get way more bang for your buck.

I'm not sure about that either.

Take exotic cars, where tooling costs are very high, but demand drives the prices up. People are willing to pay and the MFGs just cannot build fast enough.

Ham radio sits on the shelves for a long time with low demand. That's why MFGs are dropping out.

I can't comment about the past. Whatever it was is history now. I'm just talking about a folks selling several year old radios for over a grand that cost around 1200 to 1400 BRAND NEW!

I can't comment about the past. Whatever it was is history now. I'm just talking about a folks selling several year old radios for over a grand that cost around 1200 to 1400 BRAND NEW!

Because there are plenty of people out there willing to pay it....

You take a radio that's 15 years old, that has X amount of features. This radio cost $500.00 dollars at the time of purchase.

You take a brand new radio with the same features built into a fancy new box, it does everything the older radio does but costs $1,200.00.

You find the 15 year old radio listed on eBay, it was kept in a smoke free home, original owner, has the box it came in and all the paperwork, and there isn't a damn thing wrong with it. The seller lists a starting bit of $300.00 with no reserve.....
Now the question is.....is he asking too much......?

at $300.00....probably not, the radio is most likely worth every cent, but once the bidding ends 7 days later that radio could end up fetching $600.00 to maybe even $800.00 because it does everything the $1,200.00 brand new radio does, but at close to half the cost, and the newly licensed ham gets on the air with money left over for antennas, antenna tuner, coax and all the other accessory equipment he still needs to build a beginner's shack.....

The manufacturers dictate the "brand new" market, we hams dictate the used gear market through our willingness to pay higher than normal prices for used gear.
I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, I've done it out of ignorance of what something is really worth, and I've done it because I saw something I wanted, the blinders went on, and I didn't step back and carefully thing about what I was doing, or shop for the item in different markets to possibly find it cheaper.....

The general economy may or may not have a bearing on the ham radio market, but we as ham's do, our willingness to purchase new geat or only shop for used equipment has a lot to do with it, and I know this will be taken badly by many, but in my experience the vast majority of hams I have encountered over the years were and still are a very frugal bunch.
The questions have been asked before on the WWRF as to why Uniden stopped making SSB CB radios, and why Kenwood seems to be slowly backing out of the ham radio market with their reduction models offered, it's because of too main reasons.....competition from other manufactures, and the ham radio community's unwillingness to purchase new equipment in the same numbers as we purchase used equipment. Let's face it, the manufacturer only profits once on every unit sold, that unit could change hands a million times, but the manufacturer only gets his cut the first time around, after that he has to depend on us to buy more new stuff, if we don't then he has to cut production, discontinue models, or venture into other areas with higher market demand. Uniden has done this with scanners and weather radios, and Kenwood is doing this with the commercial and emcomm radio market.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.