• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pulled the trigger....

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
I just ordered my first HAM radio from Universal Radio inc. The Kenwood TM-V71A, and a Comet SBB-7 antenna to accompany it. :p While this is way more money than I was anticipating on spending it should save me money in the long run by not having to upgrade anytime in the near future. So my thanks go out to all the people here that answered my silly questions while I was struggling through the learning curve.

Cheers,
Greg

Congratuations on your trigger pulling.

How long have you been looking? How long have you had your license?

I've been researching for 3 weeks or so. Pretty much decided on a mobile unit, also, after first considering an HT.

My source of funding hasn't sold yet, so this gives me more time to ask questions and enhance my comfort level with my eventual decision.

How did you come about making your decision for the V71 unit?

Thanks...

I have been looking about a month or so and have gone through the same process as you. First I thought HT, then 2m then 10m and back to duel band. lol I was also trying to limit myself monetarily which was creating headaches. So with the radio above I have both bands, cross band repeat and enough power to use in an emergency or as a base if I become so inclined. The cross band repeat and huge scanning range is what sold me on this radio. In a couple months when the weather warms and we start camping I can get a HT so when we venture farther into the woods I can still use the mobile to get the signal out. Basically I created a spread sheet and compared this model to others under $400 and this was the best in my opinion.

Oh, as for my license, the study material is in the shipment with the radio. So I will be just listening until I get my call sign...

Greg

LOL.... Yeah, I have been in the USAF for 20 years so the radio lingo is pretty similar I am sure. Don't really know how much gabbing I'll be doing anyway. I will probably listen to emergency frequencies using it more or less as a scanner. We'll see...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.