• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about the new rules and licensing...

WX2MIG

Still Alive & Well
Dec 10, 2008
39° 19' 23" N X 74° 36' 30" W
Hope some HAM's can help me get back up to speed here.....

I first got my "Novice" ticket back in 1988 when code was still required, squeaked through the 5 word per minute test by the skin of my teeth.
In 1991 I upgraded to "Technician", at the time it was a written test only.
Did all the studying for "General", but just couldn't do any better than 5 words per minute on the code, couldn't advance, and slowly lost interest in the hobby.

Now I'm slowly getting my feet wet again for the second time, but I've been away from the radio hobby for over 15 years, my "Tech" license is still good...(at least I didn't let that go along with all my equipment).....:headbang

For now anyway, I'm just getting back on the 2 meter band, use the area repeaters, maybe check into a net here and there, and try to get back up to speed....

I understand that a lot of the rules have changed since I was last active, things like..."No more code required".....and....."I may already qualify for a General class license since my Tech license was taken before a certain date"....

So what all has really changed in the past 15 or so years......?

Tony,
Rather than trying to remember all the changes and stating them accurately, I'd suggest reading Part-97. That'd bring you up to date on all of it. Not exactly what you wanted to hear, probably, but certainly better than depending on my memory!
- 'Doc

If I remember correctly, you don't get grandfathered into the general class regardless of when you took the technician class. While you don't have to take the morse test anymore, you still have to take the general test.

i'm a VE, but i would have to see exactly what paperwork you have and the exact dates on it to answer your question correctly.
it depends on what you did and when you did it. individuals with either NOVICE and ADVANCED licenses were "grandfathered" if the ticket was issued PRIOR to april 15, 2000, and could modify or renew their license indefinitly.

the TECH and TECH-PLUS was created in 1991, you were at least a TECH-PLUS (due to the prior NOVICE ticket) IF you filled out a 605 form..... the two licenses were later merged into one TECHNICAN class.

the ULS has you listed as a current TECHNICIAN class. you stated you "studied" for the GENERAL... did you ever take and pass element 3? if so, just take your valid element 3 CSCE (they are only valid for 1 year and then they expire) and all current (and the past KB2GIH) licenses to any VE and they will fill out the required paperwork for a GENERAL ticket.

bottom line: if you have a CSCE for element3, just submit a 605 for a GENERAL, if you don't have a CSCE, then you are a TECHNICIAN.

Last edited:

I first got my "Novice" ticket back in 1988 when code was still required, squeaked through the 5 word per minute test by the skin of my teeth.
Did all the studying for "General", but just couldn't do any better than 5 words per minute on the code, couldn't advance, and slowly lost interest in the hobby.

Now I'm slowly getting my feet wet again for the second time, but I've been away from the radio hobby for over 15 years, my "Tech" license is still good...(at least I didn't let that go along with all my equipment).....:headbang

For now anyway, I'm just getting back on the 2 meter band, use the area repeaters, maybe check into a net here and there, and try to get back up to speed....

I understand that a lot of the rules have changed since I was last active, things like..."No more code required".....and....."I may already qualify for a General class license since my Tech license was taken before a certain date"....

you can test for general anytime you want . but its not an automatic upgrade just because you have had your tech for fifteen years
you still must test and pass , but you wont have to wait for your new license to show up to enjoy your new privileges ,
you will be able to hit the air as soon as you pass your exam
the testing fee is now 14 dollars and make sure you bring your
valid technician license with you , or they wont test you
and its true , you wont need to take a morse code test
they no longer even test for it ,
you could even go ahead and test for extra while your at it ,
no extra charge , you might pass it and get extra

Technicians now have privileges on 10 mtrs , between 28.000 and 28.300
cw,
and 28.300 to 28.500 ssb

Thats about it,
other than some minor frequency allocation changes . that wouldnt affect
a Technician

73's de rich

i'm a VE, but i would have to see exactly what paperwork you have and the exact dates on it to answer your question correctly.
it depends on what you did and when you did it. individuals with either NOVICE and ADVANCED licenses were "grandfathered" if the ticket was issued PRIOR to april 15, 2000, and could modify or renew their license indefinitly.

the TECH and TECH-PLUS was created in 1991, you were at least a TECH-PLUS (due to the prior NOVICE ticket) IF you filled out a 605 form..... the two licenses were later merged into one TECHNICAN class.

the ULS has you listed as a current TECHNICIAN class. you stated you "studied" for the GENERAL... did you ever take and pass element 3? if so, just take your element 3 CSCE and all current (and the past KB2GIH) licenses to any VE and they will fill out the required paperwork for a GENERAL ticket.

bottom line: if you have a CSCE for element3, just submit a 605 for a GENERAL, if you don't have a CSCE, then you are a TECHNICIAN.

hey OM ?
if he got a csce then it should be automatic , right ?
when i got my csce for general , i didnt have to do anything

and i thought there was a time limit on old paperwork ????

rich

Rich,
You're right, there is a time limit on paperwork, one year. He also covered that in his post. Wasn't made a 'point' of, but it's there.

Tony,
See what I mean about my memory and reading that Part-97? The 'written word' will almost always be better than my memory. 'Course, I remembered all of the above after I was reminded about it... how'z that for an excuse for a bad memory? Don't feel too sorry for me (yeah, right), my memory is just fine. My mental 'filing system' ain't for crap though...

- 'Doc

Welcome back! I'm not going to answer your questions because A LOT has changed! If you up-grade your license, read and listen you will pick up on the changes. About the only thing that has not changed in 15 years are antennas.

One of the many changes is there's a new band, 60 meters. It has five channels, and we are limited to 50 watts effective radiated power (ERP) that can be tricky to calulate (something new by the way).

Thanks for the responses guys, they were more helpful than you think....

I wasn't looking for a free ride up the ladder, I had mentioned else where that I first tested back when 5 word per minute code was required, and someone mentioned something to the effect that if my Tech upgrade was before a certain date, then I was automaticlly a General.... This didn't seem quite right, hense the question, and thankfully some better answers.

I'll be picking up some reading material soon, and start studying up again, I never did take the written exam for General because I couldn't get past the code part, and I think the best thing for me to do is start from the begining with a Tech manual just to refresh my dead brain cells on all the basic stuff I've long since forgotten......

gee RICH, you are fast.:):) i edited my answer less than an hour after i first posted it and added the one year requirement to it. you must have seen the first post. jim.

Over the past couple of days I've been digging through the few things I managed to hold onto from my past stint in amateur radio. I found some old repeater and frequency lists, my certificate from 10-10, and all my past licenses, but I must have tossed out all my old books and code tapes because they are nowhere's to be found.....:headbang

I went digging around the garage to see if any of my old equipment was still around, and all I could find was an MFJ 12 VDC power outlet strip, a 100 foot roll of RG8U coax, and my Knight tube tester that probably no longer works. I had sold off my Alinco 2 meter HT, Alinco dual band mobile, and 10 meter rig locally, and e-Bay'ed my 20 amp regulated power supply to a HAM out in Oregon.....
Can't recall what happened to my antenna tuner, SWR meter, any of the 3 VOM's I once had, or any of my old base station antennas.....:confused:
I guess the point I'm trying to make here is.....it sucks starting from scratch.....:(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio