• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

radio wave help

thanks but

Ok so the D Layer at Night lets FR thought so it can reflect of the other layers.

But at Night the other Layers loss there Ionization right? So how can they reflect anything?

CK-
This is what I told him in another thread in refrence to the first post in this thread-

It seems the D-layer absorbs radio signal. Here is a quote I found about the D-layer-

Quote:
The D-Layer of the ionosphere plays an interesting role. While there are no radio signals reflected off this layer it does absorb AM radio signals...

At night, the D-Layer disappears and the transmitted signal can then bounce off the ionosphere and return back to the earth.

It was a direct quote taken from NOAA

http://www.k12link.org/earthscience/module_9/mod9_topic1/documents/mod9_top1_ac1_lab.pdf

Yeah, I really hate it when people use terms like "AM radio signals" and "FM radio signals". People all too often get confused about modes versus frequency allocations of the AM/FM broadcast bands. Some people have no idea that FM is just a mode and instantly think of 88-108 MHz. According to the NOAA quote then my 2m AM signal should bounce of the D layer at night. :headbang:cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.