• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RAIN ON MY PARADE

wrong way

Dec 3, 2008
columbus ohio
Hello everyone I have a Gen Lee with 9ft rgx8 to amp (1x4) on back floor from there I have 9ft rgx8 to meter (on dash) then from there its wilson roof mount SWR was 1.9:1 untill I replaced the jumper from radio to amp with a new 12ft jumper. SWR went to almost 3 so I switched the old 9ft with the new 12ft so now I have 9ft from radio to amp then the new 12ft from amp to meter and SWR is now 1.4:1 Am I good to go? (probably not, right, seems like it is one thing after another) SWR is 1.2:1 amp off by the way should I just run it and go on with my life? (I have been) I have a feeling If I wanna sleep good tonight I better wait untill morning to check this post. LOL. thanks in advance for all your help... Wrong Way

You won't like this.
If changing the jumper length changes the SWR, then one of two things is the problem. Either the antenna's input impedance is not 50 ohms, or the amplifier's output impedance is not 50 ohms. That's where the problem is, one or the other.
If removing the amplifier completely, hooking the antenna directly to the SWR meter, then using a short jumper to the radio produces something not close to that 1.2:1 (anything less than about a 1.5:1 is fine), then I'd say the antenna needs to be looked at/tuned. If the SWR is acceptable though, then putting the amplifier back in line but still using that short jumper between meter and amp, should yield the same SWR, -if- the output impedance of the amplifier is reasonably close to that of the radio, which ought'a be close to 50 ohms. If the SWR isn't at least fairly close, then that amplifier's output impedance is off. Some difference is normal, a big difference isn't. That's a fairly common reason with something like this happening. That reason being the 'no-tune' feature of the typical CB amplifier, one size does NOT fit all, they do have to be adjusted for individual circumstances. You have a choice of fixing the problem where the problem actually is, or 'rigging' it so that you just don't see the problem anymore, which is what you are doing by adjusting jumper/feed line lengths to some 'magic' number. (Sort of like adjusting water pressure by squeezing the pipe instead of just turning the knob.) Your choice.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.