• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI-2995 DX CF issue on FM

Miura

Feb 7, 2022
A couple of weeks ago I received my brand new Ranger RCI-2995 DX from the USA and after using it extensively I found the following issues. On FM the transmission from my 2995 DX is perfect (I get the same great reports as with all other modes like AM and SSB) but strangely on FM only the receiver side is almost totally inaudible. I need to turn the volume knob almost all the way up to hear anything. It is very strange as it only happens on FM. And only on receive. Would you have any idea why the FM receiver audio is not working properly on the radio?

Lastly, regarding the integrated SWR reading, there is no way to calibrate it as the needle never goes to the “set” position on the right side of the display. Regardless on how much RF power or Mic gain I’m using on AM. Would you know why?

Reactions: AmericanEagle575

A couple of weeks ago I received my brand new Ranger RCI-2995 DX from the USA and after using it extensively I found the following issues. On FM the transmission from my 2995 DX is perfect (I get the same great reports as with all other modes like AM and SSB) but strangely on FM only the receiver side is almost totally inaudible. I need to turn the volume knob almost all the way up to hear anything. It is very strange as it only happens on FM. And only on receive. Would you have any idea why the FM receiver audio is not working properly on the radio?

Lastly, regarding the integrated SWR reading, there is no way to calibrate it as the needle never goes to the “set” position on the right side of the display. Regardless on how much RF power or Mic gain I’m using on AM. Would you know why?
The swr meters in these units are not accurate from what I have heard,and mine do the same thing,I understand that if you have your Ranger peaked and turned and converted that is the reason( use a external swr meter to tune and set your antenna up correctly,others on this forum I believe would tell you the same thing),as for the FM issue, I can not answer that as I use mine mostly on SSB ,but maybe 1 of the other members can answer the FM issue,hope this helps!!

Steve
AE #575

Reactions: Miura
The swr meters in these units are not accurate from what I have heard,and mine do the same thing,I understand that if you have your Ranger peaked and turned and converted that is the reason( use a external swr meter to tune and set your antenna up correctly,others on this forum I believe would tell you the same thing),as for the FM issue, I can not answer that as I use mine mostly on SSB ,but maybe 1 of the other members can answer the FM issue,hope this helps!!

Steve
AE #575
Thank you very much for your answer Steve. You are right that the radio has been expanded to 11 meters, tuned and aligned for peak performance which would explain the integrated SWR reader not calibrating. I’m already using an external reader anyway. As for the FM receive issue it is a mystery…
as apart from that the radio is working great and bang on frequencies in every mode. It is a superb DX set up rig.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Thank you very much for your answer Steve. You are right that the radio has been expanded to 11 meters, tuned and aligned for peak performance which would explain the integrated SWR reader not calibrating. I’m already using an external reader anyway. As for the FM receive issue it is a mystery…
as apart from that the radio is working great and bang on frequencies in every mode. It is a superb DX set up rig.
Your Welcome,yeah I Love mine,Rock Solid and no drift on SSB, just curious where you got your radio from,and who did the tune up and conversation??

FM discriminator is out of tune. Easy to fix by yourself.
Turn L4 until reception will be fine. Usually small movement cw or ccw.
Use non metallic tool.
Mike
Many thanks Mike! Once I find and hopefully fix that L4, I will report back. If you are correct, you’re a true legend. Cheers

Many thanks Mike! Once I find and hopefully fix that L4, I will report back. If you are correct, you’re a true legend. Cheer
FM discriminator is out of tune. Easy to fix by yourself.
Turn L4 until reception will be fine. Usually small movement cw or ccw.
Use non metallic tool.
Mike
Below is the response I got from Ranger support team: (and it is the same as yours. In a subsequent email, they also confirmed the L4 probable cause and remedy.

Hello, Sorry to hear that your having problems with your radio. To me it sounds like the radio is not tuned up properly, or it might have somehow got out of tune. On FM there is a separate circuit for RX and it is possible that it is an alignment issue causing the low receive audio. On Transmit, you generally need to have your RF power all the way up in order to set the calibration. You radio will need to have at least a 60 watt carrier in order for the calibration to go to the set mark. If the radio has the carrier turned down, then you might not be able to set the calibration.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.