• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ranger RCI 2995 DX White Noise on SSB

Ray Anderson was tech support at Galaxy years ago. His advice was to never set the antenna coil for max S-meter, but for max signal. Tuning it for max S-meter would maximize noise, not signal.

But he simplified this to first finding the S-meter peak and then turning the slug a turn and a half clockwise from there.

I prefer the "max signal" method, but that's what he was getting at with his advice.

yeah sounds legit, I'm going to take a stab at this weekend, with adjusting L8. The white noise on SSB on my 2995 DX is terrible sounding. Wish I could get it to sound more like my Cobra 2000.

Some folks put a 100uf capacitor in parallel with the speaker. You should probably use a non-polarized type, but one fella swears a normal electrolytic with the polarity marked on it works fine.

Will definitely cut the higher audio frequencies.

ok 100 uf electrolytic I have a bunch of those but what voltage rating is the best for that cap across the speaker?

25 Volts or more should be safe. A higher voltage rating rarely causes trouble.

And if that cuts the treble tones too much, a capacitance value one-half or one-third will have a less-severe impact on the sound.

ok buddy, thanks so much for your time. going to tackle this in a little while, also going to put in a on/off switch for the rear amp and also tune that L8 for a little better recieve. 73

ok buddy, thanks so much for your time. going to tackle this in a little while, also going to put in a on/off switch for the rear amp and also tune that L8 for a little better recieve. 73
Please do let us know how you make out ! So often, people ask questions here on WWDX, get answers from folks, and then we never ever hear from them again and are left wondering whether our helpful advice, er, helped !

Reactions: TM86
ok did a little work on the 2995 DX. In the photo you can clearly see the black wire going to the positive terminal on the speaker. Don't know why the wires are reversed. Put a 100uf 16v cap across the terminals and it did help some. It's just temporary right now. Might try and go with a 150uf tomorrow. Also messed around a little with L8, really didn't do anything but loose my recieve when turned. Pretty much the same with L11 and L12 not really anything help to get rid of the white noise. All 3 receiver adjustments go with the white noise. Guess I'm stuck with this crappy receiver on this 2995

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.