• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970DX Receive Help Needed

Dmans,
you will find many references to "white noise" when it comes to RCI/galaxy style radios. (remember when we used to just call them all 'exports'!?)

the problem with all of these references is that many of the threads will tell you to de-tune a certain coil to reduce the white noise, but since this is done in so many chassis with different part numbers, you can read the wrong thread and end up de-tuning the wrong coil in your radio.

for your 2970DX, the coil in question is L5. its the tuning can before the RF front end amp transistor.

after peaking the receive (using a SINAD meter! it's super important in these type radios) go back and unplug everything from the antenna socket on the radio.

set the radio volume to allow you to easily hear all the noise with nothing connected to the antenna jack.

now de-tune L5 just a bit to quiet the noise down. you'll notice that it drops off pretty quickly.

now go back and re-test your S9 setting using your sig gen. you should not have lost more than about 1/2 an S-unit. if you did lose more than that, you might have to readjust L5 up a bit.

now just reset the S meter adjustment to S9.

yes, you have desensitized the radio a bit, but its really not noticeable in real world operation. usually atmospheric noise is stronger on an empty channel than any levels you'll be dealing with here.
LC

I have the RCI 2995 DX the white noise on SSB is super bad. Very high pitch hissy sound and not the hollow SSB sound that I'm used to on my Cobra 2000. It's hard to listen to and pick out any weak signals. Anyone here have a alignment procedure for the EPT695015A PCB board that might fix this issue? Thanks.

I have the RCI 2995 DX the white noise on SSB is super bad. Very high pitch hissy sound and not the hollow SSB sound that I'm used to on my Cobra 2000. It's hard to listen to and pick out any weak signals. Anyone here have a alignment procedure for the EPT695015A PCB board that might fix this issue? Thanks.

so you don't notice this problem on AM?

when strong signals do come in on SSB how do they sound?
like, is everyone's voice kind of tinny?
bassy?

there is a chance that the IF section is slightly off if this is the case.
Tuning IF offsets for frequency alone can cause problems because that method assumes that the crystal filter is "perfect".
LC

If the radio is aligned wrong, it can make this problem worse. I just wish they had put a tone control on this model. Until someone checks the carrier oscillator to see that the two SSB settings are correct, this is an open question.

so you don't notice this problem on AM?

when strong signals do come in on SSB how do they sound?
like, is everyone's voice kind of tinny?
bassy?

there is a chance that the IF section is slightly off if this is the case.
Tuning IF offsets for frequency alone can cause problems because that method assumes that the crystal filter is "perfect".
LC
SSB sounds like AM. SSB on my 2995 has a very high pitch hissy sound to it. Not that low hollow SSB sound that I'm used to hearing on other SSB radios.

If the radio is aligned wrong, it can make this problem worse. I just wish they had put a tone control on this model. Until someone checks the carrier oscillator to see that the two SSB settings are correct, this is an open question.

yeah tone control would have been nice. My SSB sounds just like AM kinda high pitched hissy sound. It's not easy to listen to. Wish someone would chime in about a trimmer adjustment. I'm sure that's all it is.

the reason no one has just said "adjust x and y" is because we don't know what the actual issue is and don't want to make the problem worse or mess up an expensive radio that would then need to be sent out for an alignment.

however, it is your radio and if you feel like you know what you are doing, and can put the adjustments back where they were should this not solve your problem, then the cans you're looking for are:
L20 for USB
L19 for LSB

without knowing your skill level or experience with this type of thing, i'll just say start slow and make very small adjustments.
dont use metal tools and be careful not to crack the ferrite slug in the cans.
LC

Reactions: Pez
the reason no one has just said "adjust x and y" is because we don't know what the actual issue is and don't want to make the problem worse or mess up an expensive radio that would then need to be sent out for an alignment.

however, it is your radio and if you feel like you know what you are doing, and can put the adjustments back where they were should this not solve your problem, then the cans you're looking for are:
L20 for USB
L19 for LSB

without knowing your skill level or experience with this type of thing, i'll just say start slow and make very small adjustments.
dont use metal tools and be careful not to crack the ferrite slug in the cans.
LC
thanks I have been messing with radios for years. I just lack test equipment. I'll give it a try. Thank you. CW sounds normal on my 2995 DX LSB and USB sound almost like AM does.

Wish someone would chime in about a trimmer adjustment. I'm sure that's all it is.
It won't make any significant difference adjusting trimmers. The problem is down to the design of the circuit that Ranger used in that radio, and the reason that circuit was used is likely because it was the cheapest option to build.

That's the way Ranger rolls, make it as cheap as possible with the cheapest components possible and use as little solder as possible. Don't bother with quality control, put loads of lipstick on the pig, and sell it for a stupidly high price point.
This is why many people, myself included, avoid ALL products made by Ranger, including all their subs like Galaxy and Connex. They are cheap junk sold for a high price.
Remember, just because it comes in a nice big shiny box with bling doesn't mean it's any good !

It won't make any significant difference adjusting trimmers. The problem is down to the design of the circuit that Ranger used in that radio, and the reason that circuit was used is likely because it was the cheapest option to build.

That's the way Ranger rolls, make it as cheap as possible with the cheapest components possible and use as little solder as possible. Don't bother with quality control, put loads of lipstick on the pig, and sell it for a stupidly high price point.
This is why many people, myself included, avoid ALL products made by Ranger, including all their subs like Galaxy and Connex. They are cheap junk sold for a high price.
Remember, just because it comes in a nice big shiny box with bling doesn't mean it's any good !
WOW! Ok thanks, right to the point there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.