• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI 2970DX

datsun66

Apr 10, 2005
Lewistown, Montana
I was wondering if anyone has seen the power kit for the 2970DX or is this just bunk.
The kit is a follows,change the power reg from a stock 2SB754
To a 2SB817
And the other is a change 2SA473 to a 2SA1012.
Also is there another transistor that can be changes in the amp section from the stock 2SC2290? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Pretty sure both those parts have higher power ratings. If so, they may be more durable in a radio that gets hammered hard, where the stock parts have broken down.

Better reliablility is all they offer. Don't expect ANY performance improvement, unless the old parts are broken. The radio's power is not particularly held back by the rating of these parts, only the level of stress they will endure before breaking down.

Changing the RF power transistors in the linear is a very large waste of money, unless you change a bunch of the parts wrapped around them. Larger RF power transistors, like the 2SC2879 will be held back by the rest of the linear circuit.

Even if you DO upgrade all the parts in the linear to match the larger 2879 parts, you will have spent dollars per Watt to see a one-third boost at best. Nobody on the other end will ever 'see' a power boost that small on his S-meter.

Spend the same money on an amplifier, and you'll see Watts per dollar. Kinda like comparing "Gallons per mile" to "Miles per gallon".

nomadradio;
Thanks for the info. I just was curious about the upgrades. I found out many years ago that too many so called upgrades that people do to radios more often that not, hurt the radios lifespan. When ever the elusive skip roles back in. maybe I can get across the street. Lol. :LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.