• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2990

sammy

Dec 9, 2005
Has anyone ever tried to improve the amp on this radio? Seems like my radio has always been under par compared with others i have heard and seen. I have tried every thing to improve this radios performance. Swing kits and a gator mod just made this radio sound like crap. I 'm starting to think that something is arye in the amp section. I've made some improvements as follows , changed 2sb754 to ecg37 changed 2sa473 to 2sa1012, increased the power supply capacitance by 50%, put a 40amp bridge in. Just looking at the amp section there is what i concider too long of leads coming off the stack poles.{probably could remove 1/2 to 3/4" on each of the 4 leads soldered to the board} could this excessive lead have have an effect on the linears preformance?? It just seems i should get more out of this thing. On my Dosy I get about 70 watts of swing AM from a 15 watt deadkey on the pep setting. If i put the meter to RMS and try to give it more than 15 watts dead key it will swing backwards when modulation is applied. Mabe I'm wrong but iwould think you don't want a backward swing during modulation??? Mabe there is someone of you guy that could give me some direction to go with this?? Oh by the way I did unplug the amp wires to check what is coming out of the barefoot radio and it seems i had about 1/2 watt turned down and alittle over 1 watt turned up feeding the amp. Any suggestions welcome
Thanks, Sammy :roll: :roll: :roll:

I seriously doubt the amp is at fault. I'd be willing to bet that the radio itself has simply never had a really good tech take the time to tune it correctly, and make modifications that would enhance it rather than hurt it. For example, boosting the mic preamp circuit for stronger mic audio and modifying the AMC for snappier response time would both make positive differences in your performance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.