• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Receiver Antenna??

Cat Driver

Feb 2, 2007
Lake of The Ozarks
Just bought a Realistic DX-160 receiver and was wondering what type of antenna to use for it. I figured just a 40-50 ft wire along the top of the house would work. I have about 500 ft of #14 solid c0pper plastic coated wire. Was just wondering if that would work alright.

Thanx,
Ronnie :D

Cat Driver said:
Just bought a Realistic DX-160 receiver and was wondering what type of antenna to use for it. I figured just a 40-50 ft wire along the top of the house would work. I have about 500 ft of #14 solid c0pper plastic coated wire. Was just wondering if that would work alright.

Thanx,

Should work fine. Longer is better...

The Realistic DX-160 hey? That was my first SW receiver many,many years ago. As for the antenna,just string up some wire,insulated or not, and get it as high and as long as you can make it.For simple receiving you can simply route the end of the wire antenna directly into the house and straight to the radio without using coax cable if you want.I did just that with my 660 foot long antenna wire.That really made the DX-160 come alive believe me.Too alive really.That is when I learned all about front end overload and image frequencies. ;) Especially when the navy station CFH was on 438 KHz with 250 Kw only 10 miles line-of-sight away. :shock:

QRN said:
The Realistic DX-160 hey? That was my first SW receiver many,many years ago. As for the antenna,just string up some wire,insulated or not, and get it as high and as long as you can make it.For simple receiving you can simply route the end of the wire antenna directly into the house and straight to the radio without using coax cable if you want.I did just that with my 660 foot long antenna wire.That really made the DX-160 come alive believe me.Too alive really.That is when I learned all about front end overload and image frequencies. ;) Especially when the navy station CFH was on 438 KHz with 250 Kw only 10 miles line-of-sight away. :shock:

I was thinking about laying a wire (#14 gauge) up under the edge of the comp shingles all along the peak of my roof. That way it would be out of the weather an nobody would ever know it was there. It would end up been about 50 ft long I think.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.