• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Request someone advise me on coax adapters

Where are you located? The US version of the FT7900R has the "M" (SO239) antenna connector and the Export version uses the "N". Instead of using an adapter (if you do have the N connector) you could make a PL-259 to N cable, or (if your soldering skills are marginal) there are several places online you can have one made but it will cost you more versus making it yourself.

Where are you located? The US version of the FT7900R has the "M" (SO239) antenna connector and the Export version uses the "N". Instead of using an adapter (if you do have the N connector) you could make a PL-259 to N cable, or (if your soldering skills are marginal) there are several places online you can have one made but it will cost you more versus making it yourself.

I'm in Indiana. After reading several posts in different forums I've gathered that it will accept PL-259 connectors.

I guess I could wait for the connectors but I was anxious to collect everything I need so I can hook it up as soon as I get it.

OK, I ordered the coax and the connectors. I need 50 feet but that leaves me only about 2 foot to play with extra. So I ordered 60 feet of LMR-400 and 4 PL-259 connectors. I ordered a couple extra connectors in case I didn't like my solder joint and have to re-do it.

I hope you have a heavy-duty iron with a massive tip (relative to the connector mass), and at least 80-100 watts. If you're thinking of a 20 or 40 watt iron with a narrow tip, I'd recommend rethinking things.

I hope you have a heavy-duty iron with a massive tip (relative to the connector mass), and at least 80-100 watts. If you're thinking of a 20 or 40 watt iron with a narrow tip, I'd recommend rethinking things.

I've got several different sizes to fit the need. I'm not overly concerned about the soldering part. I was mostly concerned about getting a water tight connection. I guess you accomplish that with tape and silicone.

PL-259s were never designed to be watertight. N-connectors, on the other hand, are so designed. I used to have a good link to the Navy's procedure for weather-sealing electrical/electronic connections but it seems to have been moved. Try Googling it.

The Navy has lots of ships, with lots of topside connections and with a great record for reliability. They must be doing something right!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.