• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SB220 value?

I would say that was a bit pricey. Specially since you do not know the service history of the thing.

I mean if those are the original tubes, don't tubes get weaker with age and use? Also I think replacement tubes are getting harder to find.:confused:

Also looking at the bid history it jumped really fast there at the end.

The tubes are available all day long, but that's still too much IMO.

When I got started in radio back in 2007 or maybe 2008, I bought an SB200 and a SB220 off of the same guy in a package deal for $800. I *might* pay $800 for an extremely clean SB220.

Big time excessive for a 220. Normally in average to good condition they go for $550-$750. If this one was unbuilt or like new it could go for $1k but not this amp. Someone got caught up in the last minute auction frenzy to beat the other guy and overbid.

Considering that it's almost 3 times what it sold for new, I would have to say that it's probably twice what it's worth, if that much. There were several professionally built SB-220's but very few of them. All of the rest are 'amateur' built. After owning two of them and seeing several more, the quality of construction varied from very good to unbelievably bad. I'm afraid that was a 'sucker' price...
- 'Doc

Yup those amps sold for $430 unassembled in 1975, my dad built a couple dozen of them with my assistance and they worked anyway:LOL:

Way the hell to much for that amp. Up here, they go for $450. to maybe $700., used, depends on construction quality and condition. I personally wouldn't pay more than $450. for one. Poor design. Can buy better for a little more and get twice the amp.

Way overpriced... I thought so.

I mean maybe if it was professionally built with Harbach mods and a Peter Dahl transformer... then maybe.

Agree that this should be in the 500- 700 $ range.

Thanks everyone!

To much money considering you can get a newer more cuirrent Ameritron with all the saftey features for that amount of money. Without knowing the history of that old of an amplifier a person would be out of their mind to pay that price or hell even if it had paperwork saying it was all rebuilt with new caps ETC its still nuts!!

'359',
The Ameritron AL-80A or B is the equivalent of an SB-220 that hasn't had the power supply rebuilt. It's not that expensive, closer to what was paid for that '220.
- 'Doc

'359',
The Ameritron AL-80A or B is the equivalent of an SB-220 that hasn't had the power supply rebuilt. It's not that expensive, closer to what was paid for that '220.
- 'Doc
Only a single 3-500 though. Still, built cheap, cheap, cheap. They build amps to fit a price point. Their AL-82 is quite decent and has quite a pedigree (ex-Hammond HL2000, ex-B&W PT-2500, etc).

Right, just a single 3-500 tube. But it is still the equivalent of a stock SB-220. Cheaply built? Probably, but all things considered, that's not 'bad'. You're also right, neither is an AL-82, but then at something like half the price, I don't see a problem with that, do you? And comparing the three 'top end' of Ameritron's/MFJ's amplifier line, That AL-82 still isn't the best choice. Neither is the AL-1500. And when looking at those three amplifiers, the only biggy is in the choice of tubes, the power supplies are the same. And the power supply is the biggest problem with the SB-220. By the time you 'up-grade' that 220's power supply, you've certainly spent almost the same as one of the Ameritron 'top-end' amplifiers. Especially now that Dahl isn't in business anymore.
Price isn't a very good way of judging performance in general.
- 'Doc

I have only seen 1 other sb220 go for $1k andthatwas because itwas brand new and not even wired up. Very nice amp. But it was mint, never used. that one, I could see $700 but not what they paid. plus if tubes doneed replaced. Thats another $400.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.